Small cabinet build-along
I have watched from the beginning... Always admire a craftsman who adapts as they move thru the project.  I have to do that when I build, since I don't have a clue. 
Laugh
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
At the beginning of this build, I cut the leg blanks from quartersawn stock, oriented 45 degrees to the faces of the board. This was so that the grain direction would be diagonal, which is think is the most pleasing orientation. It was worth the effort.

[Image: i-G2c8zK5-M.jpg]

I have an idea for the drawer and door pulls, but I am waiting for a new plane to shape them. So I spent the weekend cleaning up dings with card scrapers, files, and a plane float. It's always a mystery where these dings come from. We're so careful, right? I had two side by side on one of the end panels. They were smaller around than a BB, but deep enough the it took forever to clean up. Fortunately, they were not deeper than the veneer, which is about 1/8". The legs needed plenty of touching up as well. This is not the glamour part, but whatcha gonna do.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Rob Lee, if you are watching this, you have ragged me in the past for not enough indie music on my build posts. I know I can't slip one by you, but the last few days might be semi worthy. Brinsley Shcwarz. Califone. Clem Snide. Culture. Pernice Brothers. Dick Curless.

Still smoothing the cabinet and waiting for me new plane. I figure the drawers will work better with bottoms, so I started on those. 

[Image: i-mVw4LMm-M.jpg]
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

(11-16-2020, 07:32 PM)Aram Wrote: Rob Lee, if you are watching this, you have ragged me in the past for not enough indie music on my build posts. I know I can't slip one by you, but the last few days might be semi worthy. Brinsley Shcwarz. Califone. Clem Snide. Culture. Pernice Brothers. Dick Curless.

Still smoothing the cabinet and waiting for me new plane. I figure the drawers will work better with bottoms, so I started on those. 

[Image: i-mVw4LMm-M.jpg]

Hi Aram - 

Great progress, and well documented!

Your musical poke cost me - ordered 3 of the six....the rest I'll have to get on itunes. If you're a fo1k/country/bluegrass fan.... I'll come back with "The Handsome Family".... once  described as Edgar Allan Poe singing like Hank Williams. Songs you can listen to the lyrics - I usually listen while going for long walks (which is now the only way we get outside...) ....

Cheers - 

Rob
(11-17-2020, 08:29 AM)Rob Lee Wrote: Hi Aram - 

Great progress, and well documented!

Your musical poke cost me - ordered 3 of the six....the rest I'll have to get on itunes. If you're a fo1k/country/bluegrass fan.... I'll come back with "The Handsome Family".... once  described as Edgar Allan Poe singing like Hank Williams. Songs you can listen to the lyrics - I usually listen while going for long walks (which is now the only way we get outside...) ....

Cheers - 

Rob

Thank you, Rob. I've been listening to a lot of hillbilly stuff the last few years. I will check them out.
Best,
Aram, always learning

Listening to some seriously hillbilly stuff (Lefty Frizzell) and starting on the pulls.

Tiny parts are not my forte. They also take a little planning. It's easy to end up with nothing to grab on to when you most need to hold it somehow. Started with mortises for loose tenons. The bottom edge has another set.

[Image: i-w7SS6dJ-M.jpg]

I did a little preliminary shaping with a hand plane.

[Image: i-CzfRqLK-M.jpg]

The pulls, as I envision them, have 2 curved surfaces. My plan is to get close using a round bottom molding plane or two. It will help if I first plane shallow tracks for the round to follow. I thought way too long about how to do that.

This is not normal. 
Crazy

[Image: i-JVkH4jh-M.jpg]

Started with the rounds, planed a bit, then went inside for the day.

[Image: i-XkRSrfq-M.jpg]
Best,
Aram, always learning

I spent the last few days getting the pulls and pull joinery made. Several reggae collections, the late and great Kirsty MacColl, Aretha Franklin, and I forget what else.

Sawed the individual pulls apart.

[Image: i-Pt9L3bP-M.jpg]

The shapes were close to what I wanted, but I worked the individual pulls a little more. A few shavings with a molding plane, making the curve a little deeper or the edge a little thinner, makes a huge visual difference on pulls this small. I learned by trying. That's an upside-down molding plane on the right, there.

[Image: i-GVsSxwb-M.jpg]

I spent a lot of time moving the pulls up and down on the drawer faces, finding what worked best visually. I had expected them to end up a little higher. I came back to that idea probably a dozen times, and it looked wrong every time. The vertical sweet spot -- to my eyes, anyway -- has to be hit to less than 1/16" on these shallow drawers. This is all new to me.

I mortised the drawer fronts to match the mortises in the pulls. This was not interesting enough to photograph (plywood template double-sticky taped to the drawer front, router with PC guide), but I will say that the Milwaukee Fuel 18V trim router is the best woodworking power tool I have bought in few years. While I'm endorsing products for free, I put a Wixey gauge on my PM15H planer, not always needed, but terrific for thicknessing wood for loose tenons. The tenons are in place here, but nothing is glued yet. One more pull to do, for the door.

[Image: i-Zw5KsX7-M.jpg]

[Image: i-Pjjw6RS-M.jpg]
Best,
Aram, always learning

Very nice..  I enjoy making my own pulls or using something unique.
Looking good.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
It is coming along nicely! Please keep the pics coming as well as the playlists
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I glued the pulls on, and spent a bunch of time cleaning up and smoothing the cabinet. Also started on the frame and panel back. And I learned something.

Small drawers obviously need small pulls. But more than that, I chose the specific shape so you can just barely get the tip of your thumb and forefinger on it. I hoped this would encourage people to open the drawers gently, and not dump the drawers and their contents on the ground. That seems to work well and was a good choice. But it was also a bad choice, of maybe I should say an unfortunate one. The natural way to grasp the pulls is thumb on top, forefinger underneath. This action naturally lifts the front just a little, and the drawer binds on the runners. If you grasp the pull by the sides, opening is a lot smoother. So I learned that the pulls should have been vertical.
Best,
Aram, always learning