Small cabinet build-along
(12-14-2020, 10:12 PM)cputnamNow I have to ask you - what knife problem? Wrote:  Now I have to ask you - what knife problem?

Thanks. I have a bunch of knives, mostly pocket knives. Maybe 30 or so? Needed a place to store them.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
That is a beautiful piece of furniture and I have completely enjoyed the build-along. Thank you for taking us along!
That's a real beauty Aram. 

I think for most of us that make one off projects everything feels like a prototype. Even when I remake a design I seem to inevitably do something that gives it a prototype feel. But fortunately most people do not see our work that way and I am developing the skill to see things their way once the project is finished. And occasionally - like you here - I have nothing to apologize for.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
(12-14-2020, 10:24 PM)Aram Wrote: Thanks. I have a bunch of knives, mostly pocket knives. Maybe 30 or so? Needed a place to store them.

I hope you understood that I do not see having a knife collection as a problem.
Cool
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(12-15-2020, 09:24 PM)cputnam Wrote: I hope you understood that I do not see having a knife collection as a problem.  
Cool

Ah. Brothers in arms!
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I just saw this thread, and read along from the get go.  Lot of interesting parts documented well, thank you very much.

I'm just finishing a jewelry cabinet, also of sapele and mahogany, but with curly maple accents.  It was nice to see such similar woods used in another build, the bookmatch veneer you did is spectacular.  This project was also a parallel for me in regards to knife hinges, they do require accuracy, but what an effect.

The other part that will help me in the future is your approach to the steps in the legs - there is a lot of influence of one of my favorite Krenov pieces in those legs, and I've got some ideas for a project which will use them, so thanks for showing the way.

Beautiful work.
(12-14-2020, 10:12 PM)cputnam Wrote: That is one beautiful, gorgeous piece of work.  
Cool  
Cool  
Cool  
Cool  
Cool  
Interestingly, to me, the straight-on, eye-level shot calls to mind one of the "walkers" from Star Wars.  Now I have to ask you - what knife problem?

+1   It is gorgeous!

Also, the "walker look" here is very finely proportioned.   It's not easy to do; I have a piece that looks good from the front but looks too deep fore/aft, so I intentionally keep it in a corner of a room, located diagonally, to hide some of the bulk.   This Aram small cabinet is much finer than mine!
Chris
(12-18-2020, 04:34 PM)C. in Indy Wrote: +1   It is gorgeous!

Also, the "walker look" here is very finely proportioned.   It's not easy to do; I have a piece that looks good from the front but looks too deep fore/aft, so I intentionally keep it in a corner of a room, located diagonally, to hide some of the bulk.   This Aram small cabinet is much finer than mine!

Thank you guys
Best,
Aram, always learning

Someone in Woodworking reminded me to show the other sides.

Left
[Image: 009%20Left%20side-M.jpg]

Right side
[Image: 008%20Right%20side-M.jpg]

Back
[Image: 010%20Back-M.jpg]
Best,
Aram, always learning

Turned out really nice, Aram! Your attention to detail was a pleasure to watch.

I have a "few" knives also. Zero Tolerance, Benchmade, Spyderco, Bark River, Case, Buck, Al Mar, and a few other others. Getting a degree in Metallurgical Engineering from the Colorado School of Mines gives me a bit of an affinity to Spyderco, which is based out of the same city. My knife hobby is not nearly as expensive as my watch hobby. I have one watch worth more than all my knives put together.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill