My New Front Door
I liked this door 

[Image: Gr4Y69uCoy7X-7N97EyjYHyKX18r3NwA5BZWukyt...53-h626-no]

that I saw on a house in Germany a couple of years ago and thought it might look good on my own house.  Other things got in the way, but eventually I found the time to get serious about making one.  First thing was to make a drawing of how it would look in the 36 x 80" opening in my house.

[Image: 6UJEOS0xO91I9xG3XrJ2i8olPukUAM2PWB7toxai...06-h455-no]

Construction is stave core with 3/16" thick Sapele veneer on the outside and maple on the inside.  The joinery is mortise with loose tenons, glued with epoxy.  It took quite awhile to get all the joints glued and clamped when it came time to glue it up.  

[Image: RrFGF77lsDarRsf_nD0WWoGp8jL5-w4vk09iYF7_...06-h566-no]

I used maple on the inside because it is painted white so as not to stand out too much.  

[Image: haCie9vleHOfxjkmVbw4Q3xJFb0C2fvNDxs5Buoy...53-h626-no]

You'll note that the glass and wood panels are captured by moldings.  I made those as pre-glued frames.  The inside wood panels have a piece of aluminum foil spray glued to the inside to act as a vapor barrier.  The panels also sit in a bead of silicone caulk as they are installed into the frame.  

[Image: XauBMUKB2aYTFSEIEUBJ4ZudP5mZStU1imZSvPJo...35-h626-no]

I wrapped the inside of the stub tenons that form the shelves that hold the glass with aluminum tape, then applied a self adhesive silicone foam tape to cushion the glass.  

[Image: UnYnjPeyBnawA4iIAYG9n1KXQI8woOrKS61ZLA4M...35-h626-no]

[Image: LXwwloRksfBcAo-ODMSA0hISatP3VIGvFRg-4c_O...35-h626-no]

After the glass is laid in place I applied a continuous bead of silicone caulk around the edges, but only a few dabs to the inside glass panels.  The idea is to keep moisture out but if any gets in I want it to be able to evaporate.  Then I installed the moldings and pin nailed them in place.  

[Image: HGxSoqNe-0wzPSZJPTaEi9MtUh6INngPsMzty9C9...06-h566-no]

The glass is called "seady reamy".  I ordered it from One Day Glass in WA state, and it shipped all the way across the country without damage.  Beautifully packed, and it fit perfectly. 

The finish is Cetol Door and Window, two coats of mahogany and one of clear satin applied with a brush.  Amazing how it flows out.  I used it on another door about 3 years ago and it has performed beautifully so far so I'm hoping for similar on my door.   

[Image: 2meutodDSO5co8GjfFpDfGkon25jtNW_IlAXW4wz...53-h626-no]

It's ready to install; just need a little warmer weather.  Next week maybe.  Stay tuned.
I like your door, too!  Way cool!

Cool
Pretty awesome John!
Cool
Cool
Cool
Cool
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
John
wow your work is amazing always
Awesome design!!!!  Beautiful door.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Nice looking door and beautiful work, John!

Doug
I love it. It’s very unique.
Wow John.  That is outstanding.  I lived in Germany for 4 years and my wife & I loved to walk around the village I lived in and look at the front doors.  They had a thing for beautiful homes and amazing front doors.

I really like yours.  How did you come up with the process for building it?  I would never have thought of those things.  And why was the maple painted in the first place?  Moisture barrier?

Thanks,
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
That is a beautiful piece of craftmanship.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Very nice.  I was going to work on a couple interior doors in our place once we finished the kitchen. 
Rolleyes
Now, I will have to find the new house first. (And set up my shop. 
Laugh)
Beautiful work.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.