Performax 16/32 drum Sander
I have a performax 16/32 drum sander I bought back 20 years ago. Works great but today I ran into a problem and hoping someone can help or point me in the right direction.

Now I am not sure of all the terminology but the plate that holds the motor and rides up and down and is adjusted with the gib screws for ease of sliding up and down, the bolt hole that secures the handle when you turn it to adjust height has stripped out. It looks like the handle bolt needs to be replaced also. I probably should have greased this more often but it would operate fairly easily. 

My question is has anyone run into this??  If so what did you do?? Can that plate and handle rod be replaced??  If so where can I get parts??  If not is there a way to retap that hole and replace the rod?? I do not believe Performax is around any more. This sander is a big part of my shop so it is needed and a new one is over $1000. Thanks for the replys.
John T.
Exact same thing happened to mine - about 8 years ago.

I wrote to the company and told them about it and then proceeded to fix it while I was waiting for a response.

I simply JB Welded the proper sized nut to both the top and bottom of the plate.  It is kind of critical to get the "timing" correct on both of them so you don't end up with a "double nut" type of situation.  My fix worked very well except I did loose about 1/2" of capacity because it would not raise as high due to the nut on the top of the plate.

I did not have an issue with the threads on the handle on mine so no worries there.

The company's response?  They sent me a new plate complete with what looks like a steel threaded insert instead of the previous threaded aluminum version I had.  Since I did not want to seem ungrateful to the company, I did install the new plate.  The cost?  Free.  I always wondered, if they did not realize there was a problem with the threaded aluminum and replaced it with the threaded insert version.
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
(02-28-2020, 07:47 PM)6270_Productions Wrote: Exact same thing happened to mine - about 8 years ago.

I wrote to the company and told them about it and then proceeded to fix it while I was waiting for a response.

I simply JB Welded the proper sized nut to both the top and bottom of the plate.  It is kind of critical to get the "timing" correct on both of them so you don't end up with a "double nut" type of situation.  My fix worked very well except I did loose about 1/2" of capacity because it would not raise as high due to the nut on the top of the plate.

I did not have an issue with the threads on the handle on mine so no worries there.

The company's response?  They sent me a new plate complete with what looks like a steel threaded insert instead of the previous threaded aluminum version I had.  Since I did not want to seem ungrateful to the company, I did install the new plate.  The cost?  Free.  I always wondered, if they did not realize there was a problem with the threaded aluminum and replaced it with the threaded insert version.

That is the plate for sure. I bet it is a weak spot of theirs. It looks like I have no one to write to. Do you know who took over the Performax dept??  The rod would be the easiest part to fix.
John T.
Do it like they did....put a helicoil in the plate and buy a new bolt.

Ed
(02-28-2020, 09:42 PM)EdL Wrote: Do it like they did....put a helicoil in the plate and buy a new bolt.

Ed

How do you do that??

I will try to call Jet and see if they can help.

The plate in question can be seen in fig5

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/631/2890.pdf
John T.
Same thing happened to me on an older Performax model and I replaced the plate (purchased from Jet). I would expect the handle bolt to be fine as the male steel threads are much more durable than the aluminum female threads in the plate. I’d confirm the handle bolt is indeed damaged, and not just gummed up with aluminum from the plate that gives the appearance it is damaged. Aluminum shards can be cleaned out of steel threads fairly easily.
Here is a link to the manual for the original Jet version of the 16-32.

https://content.jettools.com/assets/manu...man_EN.pdf

The motor mount plate is part #30-3018 and retails for $98.22.

https://parts.jettools.com/Detail.aspx?PartID=30-3018
Like someone else said..if you can get the plate out, you can install a steel threaded steel insert.

Something like this
https://www.mcmaster.com/inserts

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
(02-29-2020, 07:44 AM)Greg Jones Wrote: Same thing happened to me on an older Performax model and I replaced the plate (purchased from Jet). I would expect the handle bolt to be fine as the male steel threads are much more durable than the aluminum female threads in the plate. I’d confirm the handle bolt is indeed damaged, and not just gummed up with aluminum from the plate that gives the appearance it is damaged. Aluminum shards can be cleaned out of steel threads fairly easily.

Looks like you are right about the handle. Just gummed up with the aluminum dust and junk. Thanks.
John T.
(02-29-2020, 07:44 AM)Greg Jones Wrote: Same thing happened to me on an older Performax model and I replaced the plate (purchased from Jet). I would expect the handle bolt to be fine as the male steel threads are much more durable than the aluminum female threads in the plate. I’d confirm the handle bolt is indeed damaged, and not just gummed up with aluminum from the plate that gives the appearance it is damaged. Aluminum shards can be cleaned out of steel threads fairly easily.

How hard is it to replace?? Do I need to take motor off and drum off??  Looks like everything is attached to that plate. Any suggestions before I give this a try?? I hope the updated version fits mine because that aluminum will strip out again. But if I get another 20 years out of it then it will out live me for sure.
John T.