What do you think of this new Rikon Lathe
Coming out.

https://www.rikontools.com/product/70-3040
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Looks nice. Wonder what the price will be?
Don
I also wonder on the price. The info look like a good lathe. I will definitly br interested when it coes out. Would like to hear from owners who have used it though. I tend to wait awhile on something new untill I can read reviews of actual owners. Sometimes there are bugs in new products, I have been thinkig about upgrading to a larger lathe and thatdefinitly looks interesting.
Did you notice the California prop 65 warning on the page. Jeez!
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
I am thinking it will be upwards of $3500

It looks nice and all the info and weight is almost 700# but I still like my PM3520b where I can move the head to the end of the ways when doing boxes.  Saves my neck big time and I think doing segmented work will do just as well on the end of the lathe.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

(02-29-2020, 07:25 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote:  I still like my PM3520b where I can move the head to the end of the ways when doing boxes.  Saves my neck big time and I think doing segmented work will do just as well on the end of the lathe.

Me to
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes  Arlin,  and yes it does..
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
Looks scary. The idea of a motorized capability of moving the tailstock away from the headstock at the bump of a switch and then using the same knob as the fwd/reverse switch and putting that switch on the same panel and just below the fwd/reverse switch seems like a recipe for disaster. Go to switch the rotation direction while sanding and remove the tailstock support instead.
Rolleyes 

Even if they put in a fancy circuit to not let you change the bed length when the lathe is turning, I am sure that I would still find a way to mucj up and drop something on the floor at the wrong time.

Of course, I may be the only turner who makes such stupid mistakes, so your mileage may vary.

It does look like an interesting way to deal with longer or larger-diameter pieces on a 25x20 lathe.

They do have a banjo height add-on for using the banjo on the lower ways. The picture does not really look like the banjo really sticks out enough to handle a 30" bowl.

FWIW, on a 25" diameter bowl and with the lathe in the short config, you may already be turning close to the end of the lathe once you take the tailstock off (once you allow for the length of a chuck and the length of the ways that the banjo takes up).
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Have mixed feelings interesting concept just not for me! Don't care what it cost. Would have hard time finding and mounting large blanks to turn!
Bill
I am thinking the 25"+ would be for table tops and stuff like that.

I could not see any but a crazy man turning over even 16".  I talk safety to all of those I teach and that big a piece would be heavy and unless balanced it would shake like a tree in a tornado.

Looks like a dumb idea. You have a cantilever beam being supported by a design of unknown strength, but looks to be rather questionable.
Cellulose runs through my veins!