What do you think of this new Rikon Lathe
(02-29-2020, 07:25 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I am thinking it will be upwards of $3500

It looks nice and all the info and weight is almost 700# but I still like my PM3520b where I can move the head to the end of the ways when doing boxes.  Saves my neck big time and I think doing segmented work will do just as well on the end of the lathe.

That's the shipping weight, unit weight is 476 lbs. For comparison, the PM3520C is 726 lbs and the American Beauty is 630 lbs.

The sliding bed seems like a gimmick that just gives you something more to wear out and break. I also agree with the placement of the control knob. I know I'd turn the wrong one at least once and probably more.
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
The idea is cool for a small shop especially. I'd much prefer a hand wheel to slide the bed thought. Like the XY table on a bridgeport. Crank it, lock it, don't worry about it.
Benny

Looks like powermatic, stubby, and nova having a threesome.
Here are some short clips on Rikon 70-3040 lathe, could not find a decent review on the $3,800 wood lathe:

https://www.woodworkersjournal.com/video...-overview/

Unboxing & assembly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcGPhWnsXa4
Bill
I don't understand moving the bed when you can move the tailstock.

If it's to save space, then you'll have to move the truck when doing table legs anyway.
Raised

I do like the rest of the specs though.
(11-19-2020, 11:30 PM)daddo Wrote: I don't understand moving the bed when you can move the tailstock.

If it's to save space, then you'll have to move the truck when doing table legs anyway.
Raised

I do like the rest of the specs though.

With the lathe in short mode, it is a 17" (swing over banjo) x 20" lathe with a small footprint.

In long mode, it is 17"x40" spindle or a 30" swing by a few inches platter/tabletop lathe.

Doing the tabletop without having to add a drop-bed-extension or rotating the head stock sound useful if that is what you want to turn.

For a small shop, those specs can be nice if the issues that I first posted above are not a deal-killer.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.