Amazing grain- Crabapple root ball
(03-03-2020, 04:11 PM)hardinluke Wrote: Nice work! That turned out really well. Was that HVAC tape you used to contain the resin?

For some reason I didnt get notified I had replies, sorry. No, Its an aviation tape. I decided to talk about it more in depth in my latest video since I figured people were going to have some questions about it
(03-03-2020, 04:16 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: Looks great! The video went too fast to tell, what was the finish?

Mylands sanding sealer, Acks woodpaste & OB shine juice
(03-03-2020, 07:23 PM)Wipedout Wrote: Pictures?                                     .

https://www.facebook.com/Trainersturning...=3&theater
(03-04-2020, 08:37 PM)Turner52 Wrote: That is a great video nd beautiful piece. How long did you let the root ball dry before turning?

I had cut the tree down probably 5 years ago and then it sat outside. I baked it in the oven for a while after I rough turned it
(03-05-2020, 05:31 PM)AHill Wrote: Pretty spectacular grain and I like the resin additions.  One suggestion for next time is to sand using some rotary attachment on a drill (e.g. Tim Skilton pads) or stop every once in awhile and sand from end to end to get rid of the circumferential grooves.  Since you've applied a satin to high gloss finish, it's easy to see the sanding marks on the exterior of your vase.  It's a common saying among many turners that you spend way more time sanding and finishing than you do turning.

I always do a lot more sanding than I show in the videos, Its boring and no one really wants to see that part. When I was in aircraft maintenance school one of our projects was to sand a scratch the instructor put in an acrylic window with a knife. I know a thing or 2 about micromeshing and sanding which is probably why you cant see any sanding lines in this finished piece.
(03-18-2020, 11:10 AM)mtrainer90 Wrote: I always do a lot more sanding than I show in the videos, Its boring and no one really wants to see that part. When I was in aircraft maintenance school one of our projects was to sand a scratch the instructor put in an acrylic window with a knife. I know a thing or 2 about micromeshing and sanding which is probably why you cant see any sanding lines in this finished piece.

You in the sheetmetal shop??

I was in there for almost 20 years and the other out with the other services.

Back in 1994? (It might have been 93) I was the first one who was trained by the company and we did F-15 canopy's and F-16 later.  Came back and taught many others to use also.  Long process and hard to make sure there were no distortions in the canopy's tho.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.