Miter Saw Purchase
I am about to embark upon several relatively small projects that will require the use of a miter saw.  I do'n't  want to spend a lot of money and am thinking in the $150 range.  I think a 10 inch sliding saw would do.  I have seen one at HF but am always cautious with their products.  Does anyone out there have any recommnendations or suggestions?  I greatly appreciate any feedback.
(03-03-2020, 02:52 PM)weelis Wrote: I am about to embark upon several relatively small projects that will require the use of a miter saw.  I do'n't  want to spend a lot of money and am thinking in the $150 range.  I think a 10 inch sliding saw would do.  I have seen one at HF but am always cautious with their products.  Does anyone out there have any recommnendations or suggestions?  I greatly appreciate any feedback.

I don't think you will find any sliding compound miter saws in that price range that will cut well, or cut well for long.  But you can find several good 10" and 12" non sliders for that price; Metabo/Hitachi being one brand that comes to mind.  Are you sure you need the capacity of a slider?  If you do then you are looking at $350 and up for anything that cuts well and will last.  

John
check out the Dewalt non-slider 12" saws, you don't lose all that much capacity with the 12"; Home Depot had them on sale recently for about $200...... much better quality.... just sayin'
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(03-03-2020, 02:52 PM)weelis Wrote: I am about to embark upon several relatively small projects that will require the use of a miter saw.  I do'n't  want to spend a lot of money and am thinking in the $150 range.  I think a 10 inch sliding saw would do.  I have seen one at HF but am always cautious with their products.  Does anyone out there have any recommnendations or suggestions?  I greatly appreciate any feedback.

I think I would try the HF.  I an not in the market for one, but I looked at the one for 199. and was impressed.  I think you could try it and take it back if doesn't work for you.  That 12" is big.
(03-03-2020, 04:14 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I don't think you will find any sliding compound miter saws in that price range that will cut well, or cut well for long.  But you can find several good 10" and 12" non sliders for that price; Metabo/Hitachi being one brand that comes to mind.  Are you sure you need the capacity of a slider?  If you do then you are looking at $350 and up for anything that cuts well and will last.  

John

I have the 12" Bosch glide. I love it. However, it is a beast. I wanted a smaller saw for doing smaller moldings. I bought the 10" Hitachi. I couyldn't be happier. You cannot go wrong with this saw.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Check Craigslist in your area.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Check letgo offeredup and Facebook marketplace as well
“Ann: Do you exercise?

Ron: Yes. Lovemaking and woodworking.”
(03-03-2020, 07:02 PM)museumguy Wrote: I have the 12" Bosch glide. I love it. However, it is a beast. I wanted a smaller saw for doing smaller moldings. I bought the 10" Hitachi. I couyldn't be happier. You cannot go wrong with this saw.

Lowes has that saw for

Lowe's has that saw for $89. It will do 90% of what you need and it is easy to take with you.

1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
I would look to buy an HF one off of  Craiglist. See if it meets your needs. If not sell it for what you paid.
Plenty of them come up for sale. Let the other guy take the hit in perceived value.
I bought a 10" GMC when they first came out. I since gave it to my son. I would say it is good for exterior work. No blade brake on it ... bunch of plastic knobs... etc.
I picked up one of those 12" Milwaukee sliders when Home Depot had them at the ridiculously low price of 299... have not looked back.
on CL here

Maybe a Kobalt

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

I would try Keim Lumber they seem to have good prices