Digital collections
(04-14-2020, 10:09 AM)DFJarvie Wrote: What I do is go through the magazines and cut out the articles I want to keep and put them in a binder. Then I toss the magazine.

When you think about it you only keep a few articles so you may fill a few binders.

That approach has one weakness - your woodworking interest may change or expand from the time you decided what to keep and what not to keep. That happened to me more than once.

Simon
(04-05-2020, 09:07 AM)Wally A. Wrote: I purchased Fine Woodworking on a thumb drive and was very disappointed. The quality of the images is low. On my laptop, which has a fairly large screen, the print is too small for me to read, so I can't view an entire page. This isn't a problem on my main computer since it has a larger screen, but I had visions of sitting comfortably on the couch reading through each issue. The other problem I had was there were blank spots throughout several issues. At first it only seemed to happen on advertisements so I didn't let it bother me, I figured it was products they no longer wished to be associated with. Then parts of articles were missing and in one case an entire article was missing. I contacted Taunton Press and their response was that the purchase came with one year access to online content. Well thats fine for that year, what about after that? Needless to say, I am soured on the whole digital magazine experience, and on Taunton Press.

Here’s what I did. 

I extracted the articles from the FWW and Woodwork disks as PDFs. These were then copied to iBooks on my iPad. 

Now, whenever I want to read a magazine, I have no difficulty with access, the print size or legibility.  

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Just got an email today for FW usb archive at $65. I paid $100 in 2018 and was very happy with the quality and content. They offered a 2019 continuation several months ago for $20 and I thought it would come on a usb like the previous one I bought, but it was a disc and my desktop doesnt have a disc drive anymore so fair warning for some people.
(04-14-2020, 05:19 PM)brofessor Wrote: Just got an email today for FW usb archive at $65. I paid $100 in 2018 and was very happy with the quality and content. They offered a 2019 continuation several months ago for $20 and I thought it would come on a usb like the previous one I bought, but it was a disc and my desktop doesnt have a disc drive anymore so fair warning for some people.

To fix that, find someone whose laptop has a CDROM/DVD drive, and copy everything to a USB.

Simon