Woodworking Shows
Hi guys,

Now that I'm retired I miss the old Woodworking Shows from 20 + years ago. When American Woodworker and then Wood magazine hosted the shows all the major manufactures where there. The last one I went to "The Woodworking Show" 7 or 8 years ago in New Jersey was a joke and from what I hear it's gotten worse. 

I see a show in August called the IWF in Atlanta. I'm 4 + hours away. It looks like a good show. Has anyone gone? I'm not looking to buy anything I just love the demo's and seeing what available. Are their any other shows that I can check out? I don't mind traveling near or far.

Thanks

Mike
To my knowledge, there hasn't been a Woodworking Show in the Dallas area in several years.  The last one was much smaller than the first one I attended.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
IWF caters to businesses and industrial. Those are the big boys.

The Woodworking Shows are the smaller ones that I attended since the early 80's, but no more.
They've burnt me out, lack of attendance, lack of vendors, charge parking fees now, tickets getting in cost more....and the foreign vendor that has half of the tables in there now that sells used/rejects/over stock........
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-06-2020, 07:13 PM)Mike 55 Wrote: Hi guys,

Now that I'm retired I miss the old Woodworking Shows from 20 + years ago. When American Woodworker and then Wood magazine hosted the shows all the major manufactures where there. The last one I went to "The Woodworking Show" 7 or 8 years ago in New Jersey was a joke and from what I hear it's gotten worse. 

I see a show in August called the IWF in Atlanta. I'm 4 + hours away. It looks like a good show. Has anyone gone? I'm not looking to buy anything I just love the demo's and seeing what available. Are their any other shows that I can check out? I don't mind traveling near or far.

Thanks

Mike

I go to IWF every two years when it is held. Have been since 2008. 
I present seminars there and meet with consulting clients to look over equipment they want to buy. I am giving three seminars this year.

It IS for the industry rather than the hobbyist, but it is WELL WORTH seeing even so! You will see some amazing machines and set ups.

There will also be a number of vendors there that cater to the hobbyist as well as pros. Bessey, Freud, MicroJig will all have booths, Affinity/Bora Tools will be working in the booth of one of their distributors. Loads to see.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
I should also point out that I will be in Columbus next weekend for The Woodworking Show there.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(03-06-2020, 08:31 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: The Woodworking Shows are the smaller ones that I attended since the early 80's, but no more.
They've burnt me out, lack of attendance, lack of vendors, charge parking fees now, tickets getting in cost more....

$12 plus parking, I'll pass....... haven't been in perhaps 8 or 9 years.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Being new to wood working I did t know that there was a woodworking show in NJ but found out only this week I guess I won’t be going to it. There is a as local woodworking place called the wood joint.
“Ann: Do you exercise?

Ron: Yes. Lovemaking and woodworking.”
(03-06-2020, 11:53 PM)briman87 Wrote: Being new to wood working I did t know that there was a woodworking show in NJ but found out only this week I guess I won’t be going to it. There is a as local woodworking place called the wood joint.

A number of years ago, I would have said everybody needs to go at least once.  But the last time I went to the show in Kansas City, I was so disappointed in the size (small) and generally lower quality of exhibitors, that I can't make that recommendation now.  The back end of the exhibition hall was occupied by a no-name vendor who had numerous tables with junk spread across them flea-market style. 

I had been to several of the K.C. shows over the years; each time they seemed to slip a bit.  It was easier then for me to go since my elderly parents were living in the K.C. area and I was down there often.  Now that they have passed, the cost in time and fuel to get there and back is even greater.

Since the last time I went, the K.C. show has changed venue, moving from Overland Park, Kansas, down to the Expo Center closer to the middle of the city.  I haven't seen that venue for myself, but some of the reports on here about the show seem to indicate that the show quality didn't get any better.

If I knew that Ralph ("handi") was heading up this way to be at the show, I might feel differently.  Having watched a number of his videos, I think he has the woodworking "chops" that would add significant value to that trip for me.
(03-06-2020, 08:39 PM)handi Wrote: I go to IWF every two years when it is held. Have been since 2008. 
I present seminars there and meet with consulting clients to look over equipment they want to buy. I am giving three seminars this year.

It IS for the industry rather than the hobbyist, but it is WELL WORTH seeing even so! You will see some amazing machines and set ups.

There will also be a number of vendors there that cater to the hobbyist as well as pros. Bessey, Freud, MicroJig will all have booths, Affinity/Bora Tools will be working in the booth of one of their distributors. Loads to see.

Ralph,

Any thoughts on AWFS over in Las Vegas?  I see that the next one there is scheduled for Summer 2021.  Is it like IWF?
(03-06-2020, 09:20 PM)Admiral Wrote: $12 plus parking, I'll pass....... haven't been in perhaps 8 or 9 years.

If the shows today were anything like the shows I went to in the 90's I would gladly pay it. Back then they always had a coupon for bringing your wife for free. It was great as I would always get a new tool because I would say "Honey, if I had that tool I could make that thing you want" 
Laugh It worked like a charm for years. She eventually caught on.... but I still got a new tool.