One of a kind drill?
Question 
Have a small "Egg Beater" drill....not much to look at...
Rolleyes

Single pinion drive..

Decent 3 jaw chuck..no markings..
Confused  

Handle on the drive gear...

Says "Made in USA" and nothing else...what is so "special" about this little drill?
Confused  

This contraption on the end of the handle....you rotate that tab around to the left, a hole is opened up, and out come a selection of drill bits.
Cool

Have no idea who made this drill....Couple of dabs of 3in1 oil in the right spots....drill fast, and quiet....very easy to use.
Winkgrin   Can't find any handle like this, though. 

Length from top to the end of the chuck..11",  gear is 3-1/2" in diameter...

Any clues?
Confused
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Question here is.....what company used this way of storing bits in the handle.    Couldn't find anything like this in either a Goodell-Pratt, or a Millers Falls....doubt IF it is a Stanley, either.....yet, it is marked as Made in USA?
Video 
Probably not a major company, particularly if they didn't even have the pride to put a name on the drill.
It could be a Stanley drill. They didn't put names on the handle, but on the red part of the gear wheel. The crank with "Made in USA" looks a lot like what Stanley used, and the chuck is definitely a Stanley chuck. Maybe a Stanley Handyman model. But the handle with the bit storage doesn't quite look like any Stanley I could find. Maybe a Stanley drill made for a hardware store chain.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Ok...Happen to have both a Stanley Handyman Egg Beater drill, and a Stanley Defiance Egg Beater drill...set them down with the "Mystery Drill"
Confused 

Mystery drill in the middle...
Winkgrin

Differences?

Handyman chuck doesn't match.....Handyman does have a single pinion, the Defiance has 2.   Defiance has a thick drive gear, like a M-F #5..
Confused

Defiance has the same chuck.  crank handles are made the same..the wood parts are different. 

Mystery drill is the only one of the 3 that can have the side handle..

So...maybe a Defiance model?  The Handyman has a handle cast into the drive wheel...
Hmmm.
Could the handle have been from a Yankee Drill/screwdriver? Some of them had bits stored in the handle. So possibly a Frankendrill is what you have.
(03-12-2020, 11:55 AM)branchacctg Wrote: Could the handle have been from a Yankee Drill/screwdriver? Some of them had bits stored in the handle. So possibly a Frankendrill is what you have.
Yankee didn't use this style..

They were all of the "index" style...one bit = one slot, rotate the head for the next slot....
(03-12-2020, 12:26 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Yankee didn't use this style..

They were all of the "index" style...one bit = one slot, rotate the head for the next slot....
The North Bros./Stanley Yankee pushdrills I've owned (including the just-a-few that I own now) use a drill index around the shank of the drill up at the handle end that is available one of two ways: release a collar that lets the index slide down the upper shaft (lots of different model numbers); or unscrew a cap at the upper end of the handle, under which is the index (Model 45, which was also a standard Bell System installer's tool, and lots of different Handyman models).  Either way, you saw all the bits displayed.

Goodell-Pratt and later Millers Falls and some of the "badged" pushdrills, like Craftsman, probably made by M-F, used some version of a rotating cap or handle that would reveal one slot/hole at a time.  The better G-P pushdrills had a hole on the side of the handle at the top of each slot that showed you what bit you were supposed to put in there.  If you did what you were supposed to do, you could choose the slot with the bit size you needed.

I think some G-P drills may have had the great big hole capped with a screw-on top, with the bits just tossed in there, such as you find on many eggbeater drills.

This one (pointing up to the original post) is sure an interesting mystery.  The shape of the handle is such that it's probably a factory cap; although it's always possible that some later owner happened to have the little metal piece and bored out the handle to accept the drill points, then installed this cap on it.  But that seems awfully gizmotic for a home shop.
Have several Yankee No. 41....(3) a M-F No. 100 and the No. 188A......as for hollow handle drills...

Have a couple....#78 and a #2-01....
(03-08-2020, 07:55 PM)bandit571 Wrote: So...maybe a Defiance model?  The Handyman has a handle cast into the drive wheel...
Hmmm.

Had it not been for the bit storage, Defiance would have been my first guess.  If not them, then next guess would have been Dunlap or Fulton.

I know I have seen an example like this before but only in passing at an estate sale and don't recall anything specific other than the unique bit storage access.

Dunlap - I've definitely seen eggbeaters of the single pinion variety, often just marked with a decal so that's one possibility.  Fulton - can't recall eggbeaters with their name on it but they seem to occupy the same space as Defiance and Dunlap from what I've seen, especially from that era which I'm assuming is mid-late 50's early 1960's. 

Not much help but maybe some possibilities.
Take care,
Andrew