plastic dowels source?
Thought I'd throw this out there (and I double posted this in off-topic and woodturning)

I have these LED landscape lights - picked them up from home depot on closeout  for $1.99 each

They have been great and I bought about 6 extra in case any went out.  So far they all are good and they are on every night from dusk till dawn

These are them  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Low-Voltage-1-2-Watt-Black-Integrated-LED-Landscape-Path-Light-CW4001-08W/300862393

What has happened is between the pups and the landscape crew I now have about 6 that the removable spike in the bottom has broken off

I thought about making a replacement out of wood but in the wet soil here they will rot quickly.  So I thought maybe I can find a plastic dowel (solid) that has a diameter of 3/4" and turn them on the lathe

Any suggestions of where I can find something like that?  Picture of the spike

Tap Plastics

If you can find Delrin rod, it machines well.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

McMaster Carr, they have many different choices.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I would just go to Lowes or Home Depot and get the driveway markers.  The 6 foot ones cost about $3.50 each.  They are made from pulltruded fiberglass and will withstand high summer temperatures without bending. 

The color might be an issue however.  The ones I got have a round reflector at the top over a 4 foot long white rod (about 1/4" diameter).  It was strong enough to drive into the ground, so pretty good.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Hardware-Sig...5yc1vZc8fv
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Aluminum rod from Home depot would work also.
John T.
(03-08-2020, 01:41 PM)Wipedout Wrote: Thought I'd throw this out there (and I double posted this in off-topic and woodturning)

I have these LED landscape lights - picked them up from home depot on closeout  for $1.99 each

They have been great and I bought about 6 extra in case any went out.  So far they all are good and they are on every night from dusk till dawn

These are them  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Low-Voltage-1-2-Watt-Black-Integrated-LED-Landscape-Path-Light-CW4001-08W/300862393

What has happened is between the pups and the landscape crew I now have about 6 that the removable spike in the bottom has broken off

I thought about making a replacement out of wood but in the wet soil here they will rot quickly.  So I thought maybe I can find a plastic dowel (solid) that has a diameter of 3/4" and turn them on the lathe

Any suggestions of where I can find something like that?  Picture of the spike

This more of a turning question since I'm new that. But how fast or slow do you have turn the plastic rods and not have them melt?
(03-11-2020, 11:07 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: This more of a turning question since I'm new that. But how fast or slow do you have turn the plastic rods and not have them melt?

I turn acrylics and metals all the time on my wood lathe. I make pens. No difference in speed. The problem comes in with the slag that comes off. It is in the form of long plastic strings and get wrapped around everything when turning acrylics and plastics. Good sharp tools are what is needed. I like to use carbide for most of the turning and then finish up with a sharp skew.
John T.