Desk top laser
I'm going to be off work for 6-8 weeks and on very light duty even around the house. I'm considering buying one of these to play around with and see what I can burn up while I'm off of work. Has anyone got one of these or seen them in action that might give some opinions on them? I'm not looking to cut wood with it because I know it is not strong enough to do that, I just want to play around and see what it will do and maybe incorporate it into my shop when I'm back fully and healthy.

Ortur Laser Master Laser Engraver 7000mW Portable Laser Engraving Machine Mini Carver Desktop DIY Laser Marking for Metal Deep Wood Engraving Cutting, Working Area 160x150mm

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083S7...5DQM&psc=1
Grant

"GO BUCKEYES"
Might be fun. Wonder if it would run with Mach3.....
VH07V  
(03-10-2020, 01:01 AM)EightFingers Wrote: Might be fun. Wonder if it would run with Mach3.....

Not sure, when I checked it out on YouTube, most of the videos are running lightburn
Grant

"GO BUCKEYES"
(03-09-2020, 08:33 AM)gad5264 Wrote: I'm going to be off work for 6-8 weeks and on very light duty even around the house. I'm considering buying one of these to play around with and see what I can burn up while I'm off of work. Has anyone got one of these or seen them in action that might give some opinions on them? I'm not looking to cut wood with it because I know it is not strong enough to do that, I just want to play around and see what it will do and maybe incorporate it into my shop when I'm back fully and healthy.

Ortur Laser Master Laser Engraver 7000mW Portable Laser Engraving Machine Mini Carver Desktop DIY Laser Marking for Metal Deep Wood Engraving Cutting, Working Area 160x150mm

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083S7...5DQM&psc=1

I just got a 50 watt chinese laser.  It has a 12 x 20" bed.  I paid ~$1400 delivered.  It'll cut 1/4" wood, acrylic.   I use Lightburn and Inkscape software.  I think you will not be happy with a 7 watt machine.  Once you see what you can do, you'll want something bigger and better.  Sarbar Multimedia on YouTube is a wealth of knowledge on chinese lasers (175 videos on one machine).  RDWorks learning lab is another great source for help.  I recommend using Inkscape (free) and Lightburn ($80).
(03-10-2020, 07:25 AM)RPE1 Wrote: I just got a 50 watt chinese laser.  It has a 12 x 20" bed.  I paid ~$1400 delivered.  It'll cut 1/4" wood, acrylic.   I use Lightburn and Inkscape software.  I think you will not be happy with a 7 watt machine.  Once you see what you can do, you'll want something bigger and better.  Sarbar Multimedia on YouTube is a wealth of knowledge on chinese lasers (175 videos on one machine).  RDWorks learning lab is another great source for help.  I recommend using Inkscape (free) and Lightburn ($80).

Thanks for the information. I will check them out.
Grant

"GO BUCKEYES"
(03-10-2020, 07:25 AM)RPE1 Wrote: I just got a 50 watt chinese laser.  It has a 12 x 20" bed.  I paid ~$1400 delivered.  It'll cut 1/4" wood, acrylic.   I use Lightburn and Inkscape software.  I think you will not be happy with a 7 watt machine.  Once you see what you can do, you'll want something bigger and better.  Sarbar Multimedia on YouTube is a wealth of knowledge on chinese lasers (175 videos on one machine).  RDWorks learning lab is another great source for help.  I recommend using Inkscape (free) and Lightburn ($80).

Which one did you get?
(03-10-2020, 09:54 AM)Wipedout Wrote: Which one did you get?

The upgraded blue and grey one.  It used to be Blue and white.  The important thing is to make sure you get a Ruida controller.  Mine is 50 watt.  That means it's an overdirven 40 watt tube.  My bed is 12x20.  I paid $1350 plus tax.  Free shipping from California.  They try to make you pay $150 for residential delivery and lift gate.  Rather than deal with that, I went to the terminal in Houston and picked it up.  I got it a couple of days sooner by doing that.  I live in a small town an hour west of Houston.  It was worth it.
It's a lot of technology for $1350.  I just cut an 18" Eiffel tower out of 1/8" baltic birch.  Very detailed.  If you  want to know more, PM me and we'll talk on the phone.
RP