Am I over thinking this
I am building a hall bench 5' wide and 8' tall. I am backing it with 1/2" plywood. Since the plywood is only 4' wide I need to splice in another piece. I can hide the seam behind some dividers that are 3/4" thick. I was thinking to make 3/4" wide 1/4" deep dados on both pieces so I could overlap them at the joint. Am I over thinking this and would it be fine to just butt them together behind the 3/4" dividers?
(03-09-2020, 04:04 PM)CEPenworks Wrote: I am building a hall bench 5' wide and 8' tall. I am backing it with 1/2" plywood. Since the plywood is only 4' wide I need to splice in another piece. I can hide the seam behind some dividers that are 3/4" thick. I was thinking to make 3/4" wide 1/4" deep dados on both pieces so I could overlap them at the joint. Am I over thinking this and would it be fine to just butt them together behind the 3/4" dividers?

I'm not following your design idea completely I think. I would consider a frame and panel arrangement with a center stile. Something like this: https://flic.kr/p/2iCCPhJ
Just butting them together would give more meat in the dividers for screws to grip into.  

John
How utilitarian is this piece? Or, is it more furniture?
If the latter, Frame and Panel with evenly sized sections.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
So this is for the back panel. It is open on the front. A picture is below but mine is another cabbie wide and two more high. The open center will have a separate veneered piece. So I can hide the seam of the centered veneer piece and the extra cubbies along one edge behind the dividers. I can either have each board be 3/8" in each direction larger than the opening she the two pieces that meet will butt each other behind a 3/4" board. Or I can cut each back panel 3/4" in all directions larger than the opening and half lap the joints. The half laps would give me 3/4" of glue and nail room vs 3/8" for each panel as the joints.

If it is for the back why not just get 2 pieces of 4x8 ply and cut both at the 5' mark and stack one on top of another.

You can just bevel the seam at a shallow 45* and then fill it with bondo to hid the seam.  Then paint it and no one will be wiser.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
You're overthinking it, just butt them together.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(03-10-2020, 05:11 AM)fredhargis Wrote: You're overthinking it, just butt them together.

Also, aren't you going to have a vertical piece you could use to cover the seam?
Thanks for the replies. I will just butt the joints. There are no other verticals other than the one with the door. The panel behind the coat hangers is going to be a separate veneered panel with a book and butt design.
Butt them together, but make the seam where the door side divides the seat side. That way, you don't see the seam from the front. Don't try to veneer over a joint or seam.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill