Am I over thinking this
(03-09-2020, 04:04 PM)CEPenworks Wrote: I am building a hall bench 5' wide and 8' tall. I am backing it with 1/2" plywood. Since the plywood is only 4' wide I need to splice in another piece. I can hide the seam behind some dividers that are 3/4" thick. I was thinking to make 3/4" wide 1/4" deep dados on both pieces so I could overlap them at the joint. Am I over thinking this and would it be fine to just butt them together behind the 3/4" dividers?

I'd just go with a small tongue and groove joint or easier, a 1/4" x 1/4" spline, glued in place and have the joint centered on a divider.
WoodNET... the new safespace
(03-11-2020, 07:50 AM)Splinter Puller Wrote: I'd just go with a small tongue and groove joint or easier, a 1/4" x 1/4" spline, glued in place and have the joint centered on a divider.

It's a good thing I didn't reply, I like this method better than what I would have suggested!
If you can't hide it, point to it.
Cover the joint with a piece of screen mold.
If I am reading your design right, the joint will be behind another board.
This is traditionally known as a “board and batten” design with the batten being the narrow board.
The batten is specifically there to hide joints.

So your design should work fine with a simple butt joint between.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Plenty of good ideas on the back panel.
I’m just wondering if this is one solid unit or modular.
If one solid unit you will need a lot of room to stand it up and it will only fit under ceilings that are 9’ and higher.
Ray