WTB Cheap slab
Hey Guys,

I picked up some nice old iron legs that someone had put to the curb for clean up week in my town brought them home and think a slab would really look nice on them as a coffee table.  Would prefer for it to be localish in Monmouth county NJ as to not have to have it shipped.  Not really particular about the type of wood.  Dimensions don't really matter Probably would be best to be at least 2" thick so I have enough to secure the legs to it.   Maybe you guys have had a slab just sitting around waiting for a project or even the leftovers from a slab.  I'm thinking of doing some fractal wood burning on the top. Below are the legs I picked up.

(03-11-2020, 08:18 AM)briman87 Wrote: Hey Guys,

I picked up some nice old iron legs that someone had put to the curb for clean up week in my town brought them home and think a slab would really look nice on them as a coffee table.  Would prefer for it to be localish in Monmouth county NJ as to not have to have it shipped.  Not really particular about the type of wood.  Dimensions don't really matter Probably would be best to be at least 2" thick so I have enough to secure the legs to it.   Maybe you guys have had a slab just sitting around waiting for a project or even the leftovers from a slab.  I'm thinking of doing some fractal wood burning on the top. Below are the legs I picked up.

Check your local Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist.  Around me there are all kinds of people selling live edge slabs, me included.  Or you can take a vacation to Niagara Falls and take home one from me.  

John
(03-11-2020, 09:31 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Check your local Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist.  Around me there are all kinds of people selling live edge slabs, me included.  Or you can take a vacation to Niagara Falls and take home one from me.  

John

I checked the facebook marketplace/letgo/offered up and since it is the hot thing they are going for crazy money here. I plan on having it at my vendor events for sale so $175 for the slab itself seems crazy. I have a wood place that I have gotten stuff before only thing is it is about a 50 minute drive.
(03-11-2020, 10:17 AM)briman87 Wrote: I checked the facebook marketplace/letgo/offered up and since it is the hot thing they are going for crazy money here.  I plan on having it at my vendor events for sale so $175 for the slab itself seems crazy. I have a wood place that I have gotten stuff before only thing is it is about a 50 minute drive.

There's a guy near Cranbury, NJ that I have found to have a wide selection and reasonable pricing. The lumber is somehat green however...
Is that close enough to you?
(03-11-2020, 10:21 AM)brianwelch Wrote: There's a guy near Cranbury, NJ that I have found to have a wide selection and reasonable pricing. The lumber is somehat green however...
Is that close enough to you?

sent you a PM
Brian
(03-11-2020, 08:18 AM)briman87 Wrote: Hey Guys,

Please be very careful of the fractal burning many have died from it.  I wanted to do that when it first came out on some of my turning and they thankfully persuaded me not to.

Also Slabs are much sought after and the prices will be high.  Maybe you can do a glue up and then put a thin slab on top to get the affect.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-11-2020, 10:17 AM)briman87 Wrote: I checked the facebook marketplace/letgo/offered up and since it is the hot thing they are going for crazy money here.  I plan on having it at my vendor events for sale so $175 for the slab itself seems crazy. I have a wood place that I have gotten stuff before only thing is it is about a 50 minute drive.

Yes, the prices are crazy when most folks are advertising "fresh cut".  Many people who buy slabs have no clue, or maybe they really like all the cracks and warping that's going to happen.  But if you want KD like some of us sell you should be prepared to pay a fair price for it.  For example, walnut lumber these days goes from $6 to over %10/bf at retail.  If a slab is 24" x 2" x 8' long that's 32bf, which at only $6/bf is $192.  Not so crazy at all when you think of how hard it is to handle those things.  

John
(03-11-2020, 11:11 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Please be very careful of the fractal burning many have died from it.  I wanted to do that when it first came out on some of my turning and they thankfully persuaded me not to.

Also Slabs are much sought after and the prices will be high.  Maybe you can do a glue up and then put a thin slab on top to get the affect.

I have actually looked up fractal woodburning and currently do pyrography. The link below is probably the safest made system I have seen and as long as you are not stupid and touch the clamps without some sort of gloves. I am looking at more of a neon sign transformer or oil burner transformer because they put less amps into the wood and create more detail than the microwave transformers (which alot of people seem to use)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x75fxdd