WS Weekend Classes -- Good Move
As I was flipping through the club's magazine, I saw the announcement about the new weekend classes. Those in Iowa should be able to benefit from the hands on instructions. The fees are reasonable, about $200 a day. 

Also an announcement about a WS podcast...thank you very much; I just can't stand wasting my time listening to a bunch of people yacking. (Fine Woodworking has had the podcast for a few years. They could spend 15 minutes on something that could have been covered well in under 5, or 2 if in a video format. Time better spent (or wasted) on watching TV or even youtube, if you ask me.)

By the way, everyone here (club) thinks that the Turntable Console should be on the cover, not the Farmhouse Table, in terms of elegance, technical difficulty and quality feel.

Simon
I just recently found out that there is a local place that does classes and seminars. In May they are doing a free chisel sharpening class. I signed up basically to meet fellow woodworkers. They have an open shop time for 250 so you can use all their tools
“Ann: Do you exercise?

Ron: Yes. Lovemaking and woodworking.”
Thumbs Down 
What is WS?

Work Sharp?
Woodworkers Supply?

Why is this post aimed at only Iowans?
(03-12-2020, 05:39 AM)nodima Wrote: What is WS?

Work Sharp?
Woodworkers Supply?

Took me a minute too.  WS is WoodSmith, the magazine on which this forum was built. It is managed out of Iowa. They have their offices there and that is where they run the TV show.  Apparently they have classes there as well.  I would like to attend some time if I find myself on the other side of the US.
I have been teaching classes at The Artisans Guild for a year now https://www.theartisansguild.org/ (it's in Homes county, Ohio) . The classes run $125 per day or less plus materials. Last year I did a 2 day class on the Stanley 45 & 55, Hand cut D.T. (through, H.B. and sliding). This year so far a Shaker side table, Moxon vise (this should be posted soon) and a we are hoping to do a 5 day class on a Post office (Plantation)  desk. All of the woodworking classes are limited to 8 students. We are always looking for ideas on classes to give. If you have any P.M. me.

Thanks,
Charles

I forgot to mention this is a hand tool school only, so if we do the Plantation desk you will be turning the legs on a treadle lathe.
Captain Kirk was talking about my shop when he said: Space the final frontier!   

Work Sharp?
Woodworkers Supply?

https://www.woodsmithshop.com/weekend/

The fees include materials. Not sure if lunch is included.

Simon
(03-12-2020, 07:42 AM)TheCabinetmaker Wrote: I have been teaching classes at The Artisans Guild for a year now https://www.theartisansguild.org/ (it's in Homes county, Ohio) . The classes run $125 per day or less plus materials. Last year I did a 2 day class on the Stanley 45 & 55, Hand cut D.T. (through, H.B. and sliding). This year so far a Shaker side table, Moxon vise (this should be posted soon) and a we are hoping to do a 5 day class on a Post office (Plantation)  desk. All of the woodworking classes are limited to 8 students. We are always looking for ideas on classes to give. If you have any P.M. me.

Thanks,
Charles

I forgot to mention this is a hand tool school only, so if we do the Plantation desk you will be turning the legs on a treadle lathe.

Some people spend tons of money (travel, accommodation, food and registration etc.) on wood shows organized by magazines or others. Some of these shows bill educational seminars as their key selling point, featuring magazine writers, social media celebrities and what not. They are, in my view, mostly social and shopping occasions.

If someone really wants to develop skills (esp hand skills), nothing can replace going to a small class or seminar where the focus is on projects and techniques rather than on star presentations, shiny tools or photo grabs solely for their Instagram or FB accounts! It's far cheaper to hit the youtube than sitting in a conference center viewing a powerpoint presentation!

Needless to say, this assumes the instructor knows how to teach, not just how to build, which are two different skill sets.

Simon
PS- I like your Open Houses concept.
I agree teaching and doing are two different skill sets. A friend of my went to Rio Grand in southern Ohio to take a two year course from a well known WW and Author. The first thing he told them was he would make sure that half of them were gone before the first semester ended.  It was his way or the highway on everything. That being said, for some classes we emphasize that you need  certain skill sets, before you sign up for the class. Having a small class size allows me to work one on one with those who need it. But the best part for me is when a student real gets excited about learning or making something new that they struggled with before. This school is a non profit, so no ones getting rich off of it. I am also proud to say that I have made a lot of new friends because of the school. As a bonus Dan who started the school, has a store that sells old hand tools for woodworking, gunsmithing and blacksmithing.
Captain Kirk was talking about my shop when he said: Space the final frontier!   

Work Sharp?
Woodworkers Supply?

Thank you for asking.  This is payback for me using machine model numbers in threads without mentioning the manufacturer ;-))
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.