Delta Scroll Saw Obsolete After 20 Years
If you have a trade school in  the area they love jobs like these. I have had a couple of small jobs done by them and they came out great. They only ask for a donation to the school. Give it a try.
(03-13-2020, 02:46 AM)oldmanktm Wrote: If you have a trade school in  the area they love jobs like these. I have had a couple of small jobs done by them and they came out great. They only ask for a donation to the school. Give it a try.

I tried that once when I was a youngster right of of college. It was suggested to me that I should go to out local trade school to get a repair on a Volkswagon Bug as they were always looking for unique challenges.  The teacher was all sorts of accommodating until he found out I was a pharmacist.  At that point he laced his fingers behind his head and I was treated to a diatribe about how "rich people" come to his school to take advantage of his students to get work done cheaply.  I walked out and never went back.
Do a search for that saw on ebay parts may come up,if not now maybe little later.
(03-12-2020, 08:33 AM)Lee Ohmart Wrote: I purchased a Delta 40-540 scroll saw from a friend a couple of years back and just had a project come up that it would be suited for making small parts.  After printing a manual and servicing it, I found it worked nicely with the blade it had on it which was for thin stock.  My project called for 1 inch stock so I attempted to install the proper blade.  In the process of tensioning, part of the assembly broke. (part # 1343632)  A search of the web revealed that this part is not available anywhere.  This machine is only 20m years old.  Anybody else have this problem?  Are there any manufacturers out there who support their machines with parts better than this or are they all in on the "Planned Obsolescence" game?

Delta's legendary parts inventory has taken a brutal hit through neglect since the company has been sold a handful of times in the last twenty years or so.  One of the woodworking mags did a story on this a few years ago I think.  The frustrating thing is that the part you need probably exists, and is sitting somewhere, but the inventory has not been cared for and 'curated' so it can't be found.
I got the new part installed after a few fiddly adjustments and it worked like a champ cutting out 29 tusks for my bookcase project.  I noticed I had to keep adjusting the tension on the saw blade.  After tensioning the blade, I cut out one tusk and it needed to be tensioned again.  After a few more , same thing.  Throughout cutting the rest of the tusks, I found I had to stop periodically to pluck the blade to check the tension and adjust if necessary.  Is this normal?
I remembered this thread....

I've got a delta 40-560 that i'm going to scrap. I thought I'd pull the motor just cuz. If someone needs a part holler and I'll send it to you.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

The blade attachment thingy has been spoken for and is in the mail.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

If I never have to twist that little blade tensioner knob on that old Craftsman ever again. It would not bother me in the least.
Thanks Cletus!

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

(03-12-2020, 02:43 PM)Lee Ohmart Wrote: I took the part to the machinist.  For between $125-150
he can machine out a part from aircraft grade aluminum that will be about the same weight and almost as strong as mild steel.  Figuring that I was looking at a Dewalt DW788 for $439, I felt it was worth having him machine it out.  I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

How did that go?  I have the same problem.  At least mine still works...

Perhaps the machinist could produce 10 or so;  I can't do that much, but would be interested if the price were lower.

Attached Files Image(s)

(03-12-2020, 08:33 AM)Lee Ohmart Wrote: I purchased a Delta 40-540 scroll saw from a friend a couple of years back and just had a project come up that it would be suited for making small parts.  After printing a manual and servicing it, I found it worked nicely with the blade it had on it which was for thin stock.  My project called for 1 inch stock so I attempted to install the proper blade.  In the process of tensioning, part of the assembly broke. (part # 1343632)  A search of the web revealed that this part is not available anywhere.  This machine is only 20m years old.  Anybody else have this problem?  Are there any manufacturers out there who support their machines with parts better than this or are they all in on the "Planned Obsolescence" game?

There were an awful lot of clones on the market. You "may" find another brand with the same parts, new or used.

--
See ya later,
Bill