Bradford Pear
My daughter is having two large (15-20" diameter) Bradford trees removed from her yard in the near future.  Should I try to salvage some of the wood from the trunks and what would be a good use for it?   

Thanks in advance for any advice/comments.
It's more popular in Europe. Pink in color, muted grain. Might be good for turning or box making.

The fun is using wood from tree to finished project.
(03-16-2020, 12:09 PM)branchacctg Wrote: My daughter is having two large (15-20" diameter) Bradford trees removed from her yard in the near future.  Should I try to salvage some of the wood from the trunks and what would be a good use for it?   

Thanks in advance for any advice/comments.

I can testify that it is great as a smoke wood but I believe it would also be great for boxes etc.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

This may not help at all, but I drive through a subdivision to get to mine where the developer planted lots of Bradford pear trees. They grew super fast, which I assume is the appeal, but most are now gone because they split and break just about every time we have storms with with wind. I cannot imagine that the wood from them would have much strength, but I don’t know. I’ve not worked with it personally.
Pear is a nice looking wood.
Woodturners like it. 
I have made tool handles as well as some small boxes with it.

Worth it to me 
Yes
Greg

It's better to burn out than it is to rust

Danchris Nursery
I did some turnings a few years ago from some downed B. pear. It turns very nicely. Interesting texture and color:

Attached Files Image(s)

I'd at least hang onto larger logs so I could split them and process them I to lumber for smaller items (frames, boxes, etc.).
How about making some saw handles out of it.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-16-2020, 05:39 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: How about making some saw handles out of it.

Yup, and chisel handles too.  I've got a couple of 24" logs that have been drying in my basement for some time, along with some Osage Orange, and that is my plan.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Thank y'all for your comments and ideas.  Will see about getting some of the wood after the trees are taken down.

Thanks again.