Anyone make their own putter head?
Well,

Since we ain't going anywhere for a while and also since my putter broke and lastly since I like doing WWing, I though I'd try making a new head?  I see this fellow on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y608etK79c4  but I don't have a pressure tank more do I have any epoxy I thought about making my out of all wood.  Should be a neat little project.  Anyone made one?  Any tips you'd offer? (Other than "try not to hit the windmill!") 
Smile

(I think I'll also buy a new putter just to have in my bag).
Dumber than I appear
Golf..... ha ha, back in '97 I used to play, and everyone would laugh at me because my woods were made of wood, and I had some old Wilson Staff irons. It was recommended I get some new clubs, and those recommended cost about $1k; I bought a Unisaw instead and never looked back, haven't played since. I wasn't a very good golfer anyway..... :-)
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Did you see this one?

https://www.woodworkersjournal.com/homem...en-putter/
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
(03-17-2020, 10:12 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: Well,

Since we ain't going anywhere for a while and also since my putter broke and lastly since I like doing WWing, I though I'd try making a new head?  I see this fellow on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y608etK79c4  but I don't have a pressure tank more do I have any epoxy I thought about making my out of all wood.  Should be a neat little project.  Anyone made one?  Any tips you'd offer? (Other than "try not to hit the windmill!") 
Smile

There was an article in "Home Shop Machinist"  on how to make a custom putter head. This was probably in the last 6 months or so.
I skipped over the article because I do not play golf. It would take machinist tools to make it. Might help you with dimensions to make a putter head from wood. 
mike
(03-17-2020, 10:12 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: Well,

Smile

A long while back, I bought my wife an Earthwoods putter made by Louisville Golf.  I don't know if they are still in business, but this page should give you some ideas.

https://louisvillegolf.com/collections/putters

Michael
I can't see how a wooden putter head could possibly have enough mass to propel the ball with any kind of accuracy.

No

My 2 cents....
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
(03-18-2020, 11:08 AM)barnowl Wrote: I can't see how a wooden putter head could possibly have enough mass to propel the ball with any kind of accuracy.

No

My 2 cents....

well, if I drill it out a bit and add some weights to it...
Dumber than I appear
(03-18-2020, 11:08 AM)barnowl Wrote: I can't see how a wooden putter head could possibly have enough mass to propel the ball with any kind of accuracy.

No

My 2 cents....

There are some woods that are quite heavy in relation to their size. I have left a couple of 2x6 x about 7'-0 left over. These were originally 10'-0 long and very heavy. They were donnage from a load of Hardi-board. Probably an Australian wood. I think Hardi-board was manufactured there.
Beautiful wood, dark like chocolate color. Burns a blade ripping or cross cutting. Sinks in water. I have used it for tool handles, chess pieces.
Turns great, no sanding needed , lathe tools need frequent honing.
These boards were a full 2" thick and full 6" wide. My best guess is they weigh 10lbs or more per foot. I think similar wood would be fine for a putter head.
mike
(03-18-2020, 07:11 PM)mike4244 Wrote: There are some woods that are quite heavy in relation to their size. I have left a couple of 2x6 x about 7'-0 left over. These were originally 10'-0 long and very heavy. They were donnage from a load of Hardi-board. Probably an Australian wood. I think Hardi-board was manufactured there.
Beautiful wood, dark like chocolate color. Burns a blade ripping or cross cutting. Sinks in water. I have used it for tool handles, chess pieces.
Turns great, no sanding needed , lathe tools need frequent honing.
These boards were a full 2" thick and full 6" wide. My best guess is they weigh 10lbs or more per foot. I think similar wood would be fine for a putter head.
mike

is the dust yellow?  If it is it could be Ipe I have a bunch of scrap from a couple of exterior projects.  The dust is really bad for you.
As for a putter made out of wood I have one I picked up at an estate sale because I thought it was unique not because I golf.  
It isn't the one pictured but made by the same company the one I have is darker

[Image: s-l1600.jpg]
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(03-17-2020, 11:35 AM)Admiral Wrote: Golf.....  ha ha, back in '97 I used to play, and everyone would laugh at me because my woods were made of wood, and I had some old Wilson Staff irons.  It was recommended I get some new clubs, and those recommended cost about $1k; I bought a Unisaw instead and never looked back, haven't played since.  I wasn't a very good golfer anyway.....  :-)

In the '90s, I took up and played that wretched game several times a week. I was breaking 100 occasionally, joined the local country club and SWMBO started playing (another story). We decided to take lessons one winter and my game tanked so bad that it was embarrassing. Nail in the coffin was my oldest daughter borrowing my clubs, leaving them on the cart while she and a chum entered the 19th hole for a few hours. She came out and someone had lifted my clubs. I haven't gone out since.

BUT........about three years ago, I spent several grand on new clubs, bag, shoes, etc. they sit in the basement.....just in case. Their siren call has yet to raise me from my easy chair!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com