Saber saw replacement suggestions needed
My Craftsman saber saw (which I got nearly 40 years ago, when Sears was a reliable supplier) has died. My son says the bearings and the motor are shot, so it's time for a new one.

I am a hobbyist, not a "Pro", so I don't need a top of the line, gold plated, supercharged tool with the latest software. I just want a tool that I can rely on for the next 10-15 years.

I mainly cut hardwoods, some plywood and very occasionally some metal. I have a "bunch of "U" blades, so I'd like to use them if possible. However, going to the "T" blades isn't a deal breaker.

Any favorites out there?
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!
I have a Bosch JS 470 jigsaw.  I replaced a horribly bad Craftsman with it.  Corded.  Not cheap, but it doesn't buck me and fight me the way the old C-Man did.  It uses T-style blades.  

Last time the question was asked about jigsaws here, the Bosch seemed to get a lot of traction, and for good reason.

For what it's worth, Family Handyman magazine just published a test of cordless jigsaws.  While they gave their best of breed award to the DeWalt 20V saw, they did rate the Bauer (Harbor Freight Brand) as a best value.
I have a Makita 4350FCT...one of the bigger corded models.  Wasn't cheap....I think around $150 several years ago. It cuts through just about anything with the right blade. No matter which brand you decide on look for one with a light and a built in dust blower, it's much easier to keep the cut lines visible.

You didn't mention corded or battery. Might also be some good cordless options out there now with the better, higher capacity batteries. Especially if you've already have some of the newer 18/20v tools.
I have not looked into saber saws in recent years, but my Bosch makes me happy every time I use it.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Bosch fan here. Mine is 15y or so, been used commercially.
No advice on what Bosch has on the new generation of saws now, as I haven't fondled/used one.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Another Bosch fan here. Of course I'm a barrel grip guy so my opinion may be disparaged. ;-) There are a lot of new form factors in the jig saw world. I'm happy with my old 1591 but:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Fuego.../202502165

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-JobMa.../202672271
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

Maybe 15 years ago I bought a Dewalt for $110 or so, still going strong, but I wish I bought the barrel grip Bosch for a few dollars more. Big difference in saws once you break the $100 level, and its worth it in terms of ease (and accuracy) of use and durability. Oh, and tailed as opposed to cordless, I've never had the occasion to use mine where a plug was not readily available. Jobsite, where time is money, I can see cordless....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I have 2 Bosch barrel grip jig saws.  One of them was the first barrel grip Bosch offered for sale (must be close to 20 years old) and it still works quite well.  Just treated my self to a new one with better blade support and easier blade changes.  You can't go wrong with a Bosch jig saw.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
You can't go wrong with Bosch
My Craftsman jigsaw also recently died after many decades of good service and I have no complaints about it - a lot of cutting over a long time. Since setting up a more robust woodworking shop (including a bandsaw), the jigsaw doesn't see near the service as in the past so I basically wanted a good saw at a good price (i.e. value) and thus didn't focus on the more top-of-the-line $$$ options.

I chose to go with a Porter Cable jigsaw and have been quite impressed - the features and ease of use / blade changes are many steps above my previously low-tech saw. The price was reasonable and allowed me to focus on placing my funds into more important areas. The saw seems to be of good quality and based on my previous / current experience with Porter Cable, I expect this saw to be around for a very long time (possibly longer than me). I will note too that my son needed a jigsaw for a project and without a lot of anticipated future needs went with a Black & Decker and it did everything that it needed to do on the project and for the price and usage projection, should be a good fit.

The ultimate choice would come down to what you feel would be the best fit for your situation and where you want to focus your available funds on. I often like to lean toward higher quality but at the same time, there are many respectable alternatives available that deserve consideration.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/PORTER-CABLE-6-...w/50249023 $60

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BLACK-DECKER-5-...1000902510 $40