Saber saw replacement suggestions needed
My old bosch 1581 is still kicking and I got it in the late 1980s.  Since then, I've had many other Bosch of that design I've given to my sons and re-sold to others.  Its nothing fancy, but it works better than any of the others I've tried.
A word of warning about the Bosch saws:  Use Bosch blades.  They are also the best.  Over the years, I've tried other blades made to fit that saw and none were as good as the Bosch blades with the exception of a Lenox fine tooth metal cutting blade.  That's a good blade for its intended purpose.  Keep in mind that it is the blade that does the cutting.
I have the Bosch Jigsaw.  It seemed very pricey at the time, but I'm glad I spent the money.  Super easy blade changes, variable speed and easy handling make it so much better than my old jigsaw that there is no comparison.  Top write-ups in the magazines at the time.  Blades are easy to find.

[Image: bosch-jigsaws-js572ek-64_1000.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Thanks, everyone:

Looks like Bosch is the clear winner. Now off to Lowes to pick one up!
Big Grin
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!
(03-19-2020, 02:47 PM)5thumbs Wrote: My Craftsman saber saw (which I got nearly 40 years ago, when Sears was a reliable supplier) has died. My son says the bearings and the motor are shot, so it's time for a new one.

I am a hobbyist, not a "Pro", so I don't need a top of the line, gold plated, supercharged tool with the latest software. I just want a tool that I can rely on for the next 10-15 years.

I mainly cut hardwoods, some plywood and very occasionally some metal. I have a "bunch of "U" blades, so I'd like to use them if possible. However, going to the "T" blades isn't a deal breaker.

Any favorites out there?

On my second Bosch, very happy with it.
I have this one - another vote for Bosch!
Smile

Doug
I recall even Norm Abraham’s using a Bosch jigsaw back in the day of Porter Cable sponsorship of NYW.  

Mike
Well, I went to Lowes today and bought a Bosch JS260. I considered the bigger model but it was more expensive and I had a gift card for $75.00.  With a set of blades for both metal and wood, the whole thing ended up costing $3,73 out of my pocket!

Looking forward to making some sawdust.
Smile
Jim

Another Bosch vote here. Honestly, I do not know why, but their jig saws are in a class by themselves.
IMO they out cut even the Festool, and I have used both professionally.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
After using a craftsman for that long any saw would have been a major jump in the right direction.

You will be very happy with the Bosch, and probably kick yourself for not making the leap years ago.

Enjoy it.

Duke
Thanks again to all who responded. I used the Bosch yesterday to cut some plexiglass panels I've been wanting to install and it worked like a dream!

Regarding my old Craftsman, I;m of the school that says "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." That's probably why I have some Stanley handplanes my grandfather used in his carpentry business and a pocket watch my great grandfather used on the railroad. I've also got a few handsaws from my Dad. All are worn but working and maybe my grandkids will want them someday. (The planes are sharp and so are the handsaws.)

I enjoy using these old tools and actually felt bad that my old Craftsman couldn't be repaired.
Jim