Woodsmith - Poor Tactic
I let my subscription to Woodsmith expire after being a faithful subscriber for around 25 years.  A few months after my last issue I got a card in the mail saying I could have 12 free issues plus a book, for free.  I read it twice to make sure there were no strings attached, didn't see any, and sent it in.  Fast foward a month or so and I got an invoice in the mail.  The next day there was an invoice in my email.  The day after that I did receive an issue plus the book in the mail.  

Maybe I missed it in the fine print somewhere, but I really do not remember seeing anything about "with your paid subscription", etc.  Maybe I read it corrently and they sent an invoice hoping I'd sign up again.  Either way, I'm annoyed.  I learned a lot reading Woodsmith and building many of the projects I liked.  Too bad it's ending on a sour note.  

John
I wouldn't let it sour you. The process of ordering, delivering and other logistics involved with magazines has always been a bit bizarre with a healthy dose of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. I would just not pay the invoice as that was your understanding. If the offer was poorly written, not your problem. If they stop delivering the mag you can always tell them why.
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

Are you sure the offer was from Woodsmith, or from another subscription seller? I used to get tons of "renew now and get x issues for free" offers from Popular Woodworking, only to find out that most of them were from companies PWW allows to solicit subscriptions. What irritates me is when magazines start asking you to renew 6 months prior to the expiration date. It's like a free loan to them to build up their cash flow until they start delivering.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
John,
I had the same experience. P'd me off so I called up and cancelled.
dp
(03-20-2020, 05:13 PM)AHill Wrote: Are you sure the offer was from Woodsmith, or from another subscription seller?  I used to get tons of "renew now and get x issues for free" offers from Popular Woodworking, only to find out that most of them were from companies PWW allows to solicit subscriptions.  What irritates me is when magazines start asking you to renew 6 months prior to the expiration date.  It's like a free loan to them to build up their cash flow until they start delivering.

Both invoices were from Woodsmith.  

John
(03-20-2020, 02:42 PM)jteneyck Wrote: A few months after my last issue I got a card in the mail saying I could have 12 free issues plus a book, for free.

John

Wonder why would they do that? Free books usually are a feature for paid renewals or new subscriptions.  Someone I know receives his complimentary copy of another magazine regularly because those free issues are counted for audited circulation purposes.

I hope someone from WS could clarify the dubious invoicing here. 

Simon
When it sounds too good to be true...
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I’m still disappointed with my Handyman Club of America subscription......
VH07V  
The first issue of Woodsmith that I saw was issue 19. I subscribed a couple of issues and have been with them ever since. I let my expire a couple of months ago and then I got an offer for 2 years at the price of one and a free book. I did however know that I needed to pay for the year. I have had what you are describing happen to me though. I misread something and it gets stuck in my head and I continue to misread the same thing. Woodsmith is a good publication and I am sure they will make it right with you.

I do understand how you feel though. I got an offer  from Wood for 3 years for the price of one and after they tried to say my subscription was done after a year I sent them a copy of my invoice the changed their mind and they honored the 3 year deal. When it ran out I got the same offer so I renewed and again after one year the same thing happened but I couldn't find my receipt this time. Anything cane happen once or mistakes happen but after it happens the second, I figured that this was standard operating procedure, so I just stopped taking the magazine. I shouldn't have to save receipts for 3 years if it is a reliable publisher. 

I didn't contact them this time I figure if they can't keep a subscription straight why should I believe anything they publish. 

But I did contact them the first time and they did straighten it out the first time but it happened the second time and not finding the receipt I figured I wouldn't get the next two years anyway.  One I will overlook,  twice I say okay, But there will not be a third time.

So contact Woodsmith and give them a chance, If you have had a good relationship for 25  years with only one misunderstanding they deserve a chance to straighten it out.

Tom
(03-20-2020, 05:13 PM)AHill Wrote: Are you sure the offer was from Woodsmith, or from another subscription seller?  I used to get tons of "renew now and get x issues for free" offers from Popular Woodworking, only to find out that most of them were from companies PWW allows to solicit subscriptions.  What irritates me is when magazines start asking you to renew 6 months prior to the expiration date.  It's like a free loan to them to build up their cash flow until they start delivering.

What Allen said.  Had this done a few times but due to funds never sent in and I did call once to make sure of the offer and they did not send it.

I think scammers watch the net to see what people get or no longer get and pow send them something like this.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.