Woodsmith - Poor Tactic
Fairly typical. Hard to single them out for fault.

I should subscribe just because times are hard in publishing and getting harder for everyone.
I fail to see what the issue is. Pun not intended.
Semper fi,
Brad

You’re dealing with a computer. If the database is not up to date, or the computer program is set to spit out emails on specific dates ... Garbage in, garbage out. Don’t take it personally. The computer will not register your sarcasm or criticism.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(03-20-2020, 02:42 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I let my subscription to Woodsmith expire after being a faithful subscriber for around 25 years.  A few months after my last issue I got a card in the mail saying I could have 12 free issues plus a book, for free.  I read it twice to make sure there were no strings attached, didn't see any, and sent it in.  Fast foward a month or so and I got an invoice in the mail.  The next day there was an invoice in my email.  The day after that I did receive an issue plus the book in the mail.  

Maybe I missed it in the fine print somewhere, but I really do not remember seeing anything about "with your paid subscription", etc.  Maybe I read it corrently and they sent an invoice hoping I'd sign up again.  Either way, I'm annoyed.  I learned a lot reading Woodsmith and building many of the projects I liked.  Too bad it's ending on a sour note.  

John

This is not specifically what you are talking about, but (unless I'm wrong) they sponsor this and all of the forums on woodnet.net. I'm guessing it's costs them to do so. I'm not affiliated with them at all. In fact, I'm part of the problem because my subscription has expired and I haven't renewed it yet. I'm saying this because several has responded here and mentioned they haven't renewed. 

Just saying. And yes, I probably don't know what I'm talking about.
(03-22-2020, 11:53 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: This is not specifically what you are talking about, but (unless I'm wrong) they sponsor this and all of the forums on woodnet.net. I'm guessing it's costs them to do so. I'm not affiliated with them at all. In fact, I'm part of the problem because my subscription has expired and I haven't renewed it yet. I'm saying this because several has responded here and mentioned they haven't renewed. 

Just saying. And yes, I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

Yes, WoodSmith's owners sponsors WoodNet.  I thought about that when I made the posting, but that doesn't change the facts.  As far as continuing to subscribe, I did for at least two years beyond when I no longer found it of much value.  I'm not saying I've seen it all, and I certainly don't know it all, but the content had gotten just plain uninspiring, which is the primary reason for me to subscribe to any publication at this point of the game.  

John
(03-22-2020, 02:23 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Yes, WoodSmith's owners sponsors WoodNet.  I thought about that when I made the posting, but that doesn't change the facts.  As far as continuing to subscribe, I did for at least two years beyond when I no longer found it of much value.  I'm not saying I've seen it all, and I certainly don't know it all, but the content had gotten just plain uninspiring, which is the primary reason for me to subscribe to any publication at this point of the game.  

John

I agree with you that not most of the issues are uninspiring, but I like to go back for old issues for a specific project or a refresher on one thing or another. My memory is rather poor, especially on things I don't do or use frequently. I understand the frustration with the original posting on this. Companies are all the time trying to hide the facts and they should be more upfront on these things.

Jim
(03-22-2020, 02:35 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: I agree with you that not most of the issues are uninspiring, but I like to go back for old issues for a specific project or a refresher on one thing or another. My memory is rather poor, especially on things I don't do or use frequently. I understand the frustration with the original posting on this. Companies are all the time trying to hide the facts and they should be more upfront on these things.

Jim

Like others here I have been subscribing to woodsmith magazine since the early 80's, kept every issue and go back occasionally to find projects to do.  And while I still look forward to getting the latest issue, I am disappointed more often than not.  I do have to say that I learned a lot from that publication and will probably continue to subscribe.  I was recently recovering from major surgery and I made the locomotive and coal tender from an issue 6 months ago.  That was a different set of skills and I learned quite a bit from that as well.

Jay
(03-22-2020, 09:03 PM)cme4dk Wrote: Like others here I have been subscribing to woodsmith magazine since the early 80's, kept every issue and go back occasionally to find projects to do.  And while I still look forward to getting the latest issue, I am disappointed more often than not.  I do have to say that I learned a lot from that publication and will probably continue to subscribe.  I was recently recovering from major surgery and I made the locomotive and coal tender from an issue 6 months ago.  That was a different set of skills and I learned quite a bit from that as well.

Jay

a couple years ago I bought the online version of the mags and donated my printed copies to a local high school. Although far to less hs have wood shop anymore. I do wish woodnet would offer a subscription that would cover both mags and the libraries.
(03-22-2020, 09:03 PM)cme4dk Wrote: Like others here I have been subscribing to woodsmith magazine since the early 80's, kept every issue and go back occasionally to find projects to do.  And while I still look forward to getting the latest issue, I am disappointed more often than not.  I do have to say that I learned a lot from that publication and will probably continue to subscribe.  I was recently recovering from major surgery and I made the locomotive and coal tender from an issue 6 months ago.  That was a different set of skills and I learned quite a bit from that as well.

Jay

I just realized I started subscribing in the early 80's, too, which means it's been almost 40 years.  I thought it had only been about 25.  Where did all those years go?  

John