Mounting drawer slides
I want to attach some pull out drawers I made for our bathroom vanities. There is about 3/4" of dead space between the back of the cabinet (probably 1/4" thick I assume) and the drywall. There won't be anything super heavy, but I want to figure out which type of mounting method I should use. Being only 1/4" thick, a regular drywall anchor probably isn't a great idea. Any recommendations?
Paul
"Some glue, some brads while the glue dries, and that's not going anywhere!"
Norm
If I understand correctly, you have a typical vanity cabinet that is made as a solid frame with thin panels on sides and back. Rather than trying to fasten your drawer slides to the thin panels, screw a solid wood stretcher across the back from corner frame to frame. Then fasten your drawer slides to that. Do the same if your slides will be side mounted.
(03-21-2020, 09:52 AM)Willyou Wrote: If I understand correctly, you have a typical vanity cabinet that is made as a solid frame with thin panels on sides and back. Rather than trying to fasten your drawer slides to the thin panels, screw a solid wood stretcher across the back from corner frame to frame. Then fasten your drawer slides to that. Do the same if your slides will be side mounted.

Yes, you understand correctly. The sides are 3/4" so no problem there, its just in the back. And I usually do what you suggest, but I wanted to avoid it if possible. Just less trouble and less "stuff" all inside the cabinet.
Paul
Norm
If you must fasten your drawer slides directly to the back panel, perhaps something like this will work for you.
I do as Willyou does. A lot of commercial installations are only supported at the front and the rear. I have grand kids; enough said.
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

Glue and screw a 1/2 or 3/4 panel inside, onto the back 1/4 panel. As big a piece as you can get in there.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-21-2020, 01:14 PM)Willyou Wrote: If you must fasten your drawer slides directly to the back panel, perhaps something like this will work for you.

Yeah that looks like a great idea.
Norm
Why not use side mount slides?  Or ones that on the bottom of the drawer and to the side of the cabinet only (instead of the back).

I use the KV ball bearing type sidemounts.  On a 3/4 ply box I use a 1" face frame and a spacer inside the cabinet to bring the slides out flush to opening.
(03-22-2020, 06:42 AM)KC Wrote: Why not use side mount slides?  Or ones that on the bottom of the drawer and to the side of the cabinet only (instead of the back).

I use the KV ball bearing type sidemounts.  On a 3/4 ply box I use a 1" face frame and a spacer inside the cabinet to bring the slides out flush to opening.

That's kind of what I was thinking, too.  My shop cabinets are reclaimed kitchen and bathroom cabinets that I bought at Habitat.  Recently, I decided to make better use of the large wasted space in the lower cabinets, and I had a number of sets of side-mount full extension slides.  Since the cabinets had face frames, I used scrap 3/4" ply/particle board to "flush up" the sides of the cabinets and then I mounted the slides.  No need to go back to the back of the cabinet.
(03-22-2020, 06:42 AM)KC Wrote: Why not use side mount slides?  Or ones that on the bottom of the drawer and to the side of the cabinet only (instead of the back).

That is what I'm using, and that's usually how I do it. But the back brackets are less work and can self adjust when you slide them in the first time. Just wanted less work and less junk inside the cabinet.
Paul
Norm