Local Big leaf maple bowls
I got this log of Big leaf maple (or silver maple) and made a few bowls. It was somewhat punky, and spalted, and some was burl. A lesson in sanding for sure! One is over 14 inches across. I found Polycrylic works very well for soaking into punky spots.

Now where is that chisel
Three great looking bowls.  I really like the way you worked with the void in the first one, but... the color, figure, and shape of the third one is my favorite. I've had a few pieces of Silver Leaf Maple (no spalting).  My SLM bowls all had a lot of gray tones.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
The grain is awesome! You chose pretty difficult shapes to make on those first two.
VH07V  
Very nice turnings.  Thanks for sharing.
Nice. Big leaf maple is native to the northwest
If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning

good job in keeping them in one piece.

You said you have a few logs??  Just where do you live.
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Beautiful wood and turning
Beautiful work. I love the spalting!
(03-22-2020, 06:05 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: good job in keeping them in one piece.

You said you have a few logs??  Just where do you live.
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

Hoodsport Washington. Lots of maple logs; you just have to look around.
Now where is that chisel