Dovetail Jig
I am getting kind of tired of trying to make dovetails by hand and how awful they are.  Does anyone know of a good jig that is easy to use and easy to understand and set up.

Thanks

I should add used would be good for the price.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
The easiest to use is the Keller System Dovetail jig. It's really not built for large pieces, since with that jig you move the workpiece and not the router. The other super easy one is Porter Cable's jig. These both come with some drawbacks. You can't change dovetail spacing for one.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Arlin: let me check my latest shop clean out day box as I think there is jig to cut dovetails by hand in it. if so, I'll send it you if you want to try it.
Al Hill: at one time, I had the Keller jig. You can use it on a router table --moving the stock -- or with a hand-held router --moving the router.

Either way, the jig worked well. Found I just did not use it much, so it went to a good home....
(03-22-2020, 01:48 PM)Ray Newman Wrote: Arlin: let me check my latest shop clean out day box as I think there is jig to cut dovetails by hand in it. if so, I'll send it you if you want to try it.

Thanks Ray.  Is it easy to use and any instructions??
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

Have you ever viewed Rob Cosman on the "YOUTUBE"?  He shows fast and easy dovetail marking along with a long series on dovetail drawer making along with hints on sharpening, sawing, and laying out the dovetails.  He also explains error's he made mode filming!
(05-02-2020, 04:41 PM)Ninefingers_grapes Wrote: Have you ever viewed Rob Cosman on the "YOUTUBE"?  He shows fast and easy dovetail marking along with a long series on dovetail drawer making along with hints on sharpening, sawing, and laying out the dovetails.  He also explains error's he made mode filming!

Some individuals have encouraged me to take Rob up on his classes for vets, only thing on that tho is I have to have my wife with me and can not afford to fly her there to.

Try to find a used Akeda Jig. They went out of business a while back. I own one and use it, never felt the need to get anything else. Easy setup and very repeatable results.
To do is to be (Camus)
To be is to do (Sartre)
Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo (Sinatra)
(03-22-2020, 12:21 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I am getting kind of tired of trying to make dovetails by hand and how awful they are.  Does anyone know of a good jig that is easy to use and easy to understand and set up.

Thanks

I should add used would be good for the price.

Arlin,
I have used both the Incra Jig and the Leigh Jig.
Both can make some amazing projects.
They take time to set up and understand.
Both are found here at times at a good discount. For many of my projects I have resorted to just using a box joint jig that was in Shop Notes or Woodsmith.
It seems that there was a plan for making a dovetail jig like the keller out of plastin in Woodsmith or Shopnotes.
I enjoy the creative aspect of Leigh and Incra. But they require patience and attention to set up detail. Once thety are dialed in things go fast.
There also was a cool article on cutting dovetails on the band saw in Woodsmith or Sopnotes you may want to read. 
With more time at home not a bad time to remaster the Leigh jig.
(05-04-2020, 12:03 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Some individuals have encouraged me to take Rob up on his classes for vets, only thing on that tho is I have to have my wife with me and can not afford to fly her there to.

If you are accepted, Rob’s Purple Heart Project pays your air fair. The program is 100% funded with donations from extremely generous people, and you might be surprised what they would be willing to do to support you and your wife. Just happing now, a Vet from Australia who has already gone through the program lost his shop to a fire. The PHP supporters have already raised several thousand in donations (one person donated $5k) to replace it. One thing is certain, it costs nothing for you to apply.