Kerfing Chisel
It's true that a lot of 18th century DT were over cut. That being said when someone is paying you to make a piece for them, then you do it the way they want it.The kerfing chisel that I made is .015 thick with a double bevel filed on it. It looks like a cut and not crushing of the fibers, especially since I am cutting with the fibers. I hope to get to a Book Press  later this year, it will have a lipped drawer with over cut DT, at least that's what we discussed when they ordered it 2 years ago.
Captain Kirk was talking about my shop when he said: Space the final frontier!   
(04-05-2020, 05:40 PM)wmickley Wrote:  Can you tell whether the pins are over cut or not?

Can you?
(04-06-2020, 12:50 AM)Tapper Wrote: Can you?

Whether or not the pins are overcut is inconsequential. Being familiar with Philadelphia furniture I would be surprised if they were not overcut.

I made two drawers like the one pictured years ago for a high chest. Actually I just did the carving and another fellow made the drawers. We make the dovetails before carving and then keep the dovetails together except when actually working on the front. I would have taken the drawers apart several times, but I don't remember if the pins were overcut or not. It is inconsequential.
https://pegsandtails.wordpress.com/2012/...ry-drawer/

If you don't want to oversaw, then file the teeth off the first half inch or so of a steel-backed gent's or beading saw (basically a 'beater' saw) and tap it down into the kerf to finish the cut into the corner. If you don't have time to file the teeth off, don't. It'll still work fine. An old scraper works, resaw bandsaw blade, section of an old saw you have on hand to make scratches, etc., etc.
(04-02-2020, 02:11 PM)TheCabinetmaker Wrote: It's fascinating to me to see the different ways that woodworkers solve the same problem. A while back I made a diminutive gents saw that I use for small DT's . After that I took a piece of the leftover 1095 and made a kerf cutter. It takes about 5 seconds to wack it down with my mallet.

Did you sharpen it on the outside and bottom edges or at all??
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Have an old Harbor Freight chisel I have been using for dovetails.....it has been re-ground into a triangle shape...used to be a 1/4" chisel.   Able to get into the tight spots..

Tails or pins, doesn't really matter...

Maybe use them kerfing chisel to split hairs?

IF I was going to use such a thing....this is what I will use...

Red Devil 1401...YMMV....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(04-07-2020, 02:35 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Did you sharpen it on the outside and bottom edges or at all??

I took a mill file and put a small bevel on each side. It's not sharp enough to cut you, just sharp enough to act as a wedge.
Captain Kirk was talking about my shop when he said: Space the final frontier!