wixey digital angle gauge inaccurate?
While it isn't impossible you're doing it wrong, it's also not impossible it's broken. I have the angle gauge, have had it for a decade, and it has been reliable and accurate. I also have several other of their gauges that have been fantastic. But I have their router gauge with remote readout that won't hold a zero and wanders the moment I turn on the router. So it is possible yours could be broken.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
I'm confident the angle shown is correct for the orientation of the gauge in that exact position. However, it wasn't the angle intended.

I think it's important to keep the face of the instrument perpendicular to the plane of the blade and plane of the reference surface, in this case, the saw table.
I've had mine more years than I can count and it has been dead on.  As accurate as the things are, you have to keep in mind...not every single one manufactured is going to be perfect.

I would return it for replacement in a heart beat.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(03-23-2020, 08:28 AM)WxMan Wrote: I'm firmly in the "more testing" category.

I've had a Wixey angle gauge for well over 10 years.

I've found that my Wixey is very sensitive to orientation with respect to the table.  Here's a series of pictures to illustrate:

5.  Simply by changing the orientation of the gauge as shown in Picture 4, I have induced a significant error in the reading on the gauge.

Hope this helps.

I found out 5 is what I seen also.  I had to make sure it was on the blade correctly and any deviation it would change it from vertical the more the blade was tilted.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
As WxMan indicates, you cannot rotate it on a 2nd axis when moving it from the reference to the moving surface.

For example, make sure it is pushed snug against the square you're using to square the jointer.
Toss the Wixey, buy a TiltBox, you'll be much happier.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Thanks all, will do more testing next chance. I have always only heard good things about these things..  when it was off by 2.5* in two environments (TS and jointer) I thought I must be doing something wrong. It *should be* simply set 0 when on the "table" and then attach it to the blade, or fence, no obstructions, no propped up on teeth etc. Just bought it at Woodcraft a few days ago. Now things are shut down so can't return it easily if defective.. 

I'll try to look more closely tomorrow
It is not faulty ... re-read my last post. I added in a bit to clarify what a "resultant angle" is.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(03-23-2020, 09:47 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: It is not faulty ... re-read my last post. I added in a bit to clarify what a "resultant angle" is.

Regards from Perth

Derek

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This!!!

Slide it down and set the bottom flat on the table … you will get the correct angle … rotate the gauge on the blade and the angle will change ...
Life is what happens when you're not paying attention.
(03-23-2020, 06:18 PM)museumguy Wrote: Toss the Wixey, buy a TiltBox, you'll be much happier.

I don't know whether the Wixey is inferior as I have never used one, and both have the same tolerance. But the TiltBox is excellent, giving me dead on cuts. It is different than the Wixey in one major way: after zeroing it out, you attach its side, not the bottom face, to the blade or whatever the tool to be attached to. I don't know if that would make the angle more accurate.

Simon