Diminutive Dovetail chisels
Decided to make myself a set of small dovetail chisels. I wanted a small chisel that would allow me to have the baseline and the top of the chisel handle all in one line of sight.

Started posting pics of these on IG, now I've just finished the 7th full set of these. Seems other people wanted these type chisels as well.

This set has Desert Ironwood handles. Overall length is 6", sizes are 3/16", 1/4", 5/16", 3/8" and 1/2" wide. Blades are 1/8" thick made from NOS Starrett high carbon tool steel.

Ron

[Image: white2.jpg]

[Image: whitebg4.jpg]

[Image: whitebg3.jpg]
"which plane should I use for this task?......the sharp one"

http://www.breseplane.blogspot.com/
Wow, how sweet is that!
gorgeous! you should sell these!
Nice. I have a short dovetail chisel, can’t remember the maker, but they are handy to use.
Very nice Ron!

What are the length of the blades and handles?

I have the Blue Spruce detail/dovetail chisels, and purchased them when Dave started making them. Some of the sizes I had were the first made. The blades are 1/8” thick, as with yours, and this has made them light and feel like precision instruments. I expect yours would be the same.

The sizes I use most start at 1/8”, 3/16” and 1/4” for tails, and then 1/2” to 1” for pins. A fishtail chisel completes the package.

A good set to put together for sale as the BS are only available in A2, and many would prefer O1 steel.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(03-23-2020, 06:36 PM)Ron Brese Wrote: Decided to make myself a set of small dovetail chisels. I wanted a small chisel that would allow me to have the baseline and the top of the chisel handle all in one line of sight.

Started posting pics of these on IG, now I've just finished the 7th full set of these. Seems other people wanted these type chisels as well.

This set has Desert Ironwood handles. Overall length is 6", sizes are 3/16", 1/4", 5/16", 3/8" and 1/2" wide. Blades are 1/8" thick made from NOS Starrett high carbon tool steel.

Ron

Well, Ron. I think you out did yourself on these. Beautiful.
     FYI. I have one ( 1/2") and it is indeed quite handy and well balanced. I need to save my pennies for more.
Best wishes.
BontzSawWorks.net
Beautiful!

(03-23-2020, 06:36 PM)Ron Brese Wrote: Decided to make myself a set of small dovetail chisels. I wanted a small chisel that would allow me to have the baseline and the top of the chisel handle all in one line of sight.

Ron

Functional works of art!
Cool
Cool
Cool
Cool
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(03-23-2020, 06:36 PM)Ron Brese Wrote: Thanks for the kind comments. There a couple things I forgot to mention about these chisels. The side bevels are 20 degrees. This clears pretty much any dovetail angle that is commonly used. There is zero land on the edges. The blades are ground to zero land and then the sharp corner is broken so as not to cut the user's fingers. As I have these sets available I offer them for sale on my blog. I typically announce them as available on my IG page listed as "breseplane"

Ron
"which plane should I use for this task?......the sharp one"

http://www.breseplane.blogspot.com/
Beautiful! You have another hot commodity already.