Router Collet Design Question

While keeping the brain cell engaged today I noticed different types of collet designs on routers.

The number of slots / kerfs vary from 1 to 8.

Some with multiple slots / kerfs have them only on one end of the collet. Others have half on each end offset by 90°

Some have the collet and nut as one assembly others the collet and nut are separate.

Is there a minimum distance that a bit should be inserted in a collet? My default approach has been to insert the bit as far as possible then retract it about 1/8" The reason for the question is a new tool in the shop (a CNC router) and some of the bits are short and would not leave much for cutting if I use my default method.

Just out of curiosity could someone explain these design differences and the minimum insertion depth question.

Thanks, Bill
  Re: Router Collet Design Question by wjt (While keeping the br...)
I have always been told to use your method. Insert fully and then retract 1/8". Have never had a problem. Have no experience with cnc . Hopefully someone that knows can give you thr correct info
On my CNC I insert short bits just o the shank is in far enough that the collet has full contact with the shank
I put o-rings down into the shaft on most of my routers several years ago. That takes the guess out of pulling the bit back up 1/8"
Steve

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

When I use the toilet it smells just like fresh brewed coffee!
fredp 02/13/2020