Shop tour
Been working on putting together a new shop including all power equipment for the past two years or so. It's come a long way since we moved here and gutted the basement to make way for my shop. There was a pic of a small part of the shop in this thread talking about the advantages of Dricore flooring.

The basement walls have several angles and offsets and the interior steps enter at 45*, add to that the shelving the PO placed down the center of the main part of the area makes the tool layout and work flow somewhat of a challenge. I considered removing the shelving (floor to ceiling, 2' deep x 26' long constructed with 2x4's and 3/4" ply) but elected to keep it. It is very heavy and stable plus there are 4 columns buried within the wall.

Here's a long view with sink and sharpening on the left, CMS and wood rack on the right.

My best friend and I put all the large power equipment on mobile bases and moved them around the shop working with material on each to find the most workable layout. The TS was the biggest challenge but thus far I've been able to do anything needed. Here's a couple pics of the machine side of the shop. The smaller tools, router table, sanders and 10" BS roll out to the center of the floor for use. Everything else is stationary.

Needed more headroom for the cyclone so I gained 2 or 3 inches by removing the casters and replacing them with nylon furniture sliders 2 sided taped over the caster bolt holes. The bin slides easily on the Dricore flooring.

That's a GO733 lathe in the background. That was the last Craig's List addition (as are most of my tools) to the shop. Hoping to turn more as time allows.

Assembly side of the shop. The 12" long bench against the wall was built and installed by the PO

Built this bench several years ago for a FWW article. Yes, I did build a couple cedar strip kayaks.

I cut the doorway thru the shelving for travel and long rips on the TS.

Cantilevered wood rack made with fir 4x4's and 3/4" galvanized pipe. Each of the 3- 4x's was drilled in the bottom center to drop over a stud screwed into the 3/4" ply plate. The tops are captured in a box framework. Most of the wood is stored on edge for easy access.

The shop has come a long way since we moved here and is a pleasure to work in. Additionally, the Dricore flooring makes a full day in the shop doable for me and my arthritic joints. 

Comments or questions greatly appreciated,

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
I like the way you accommodated the need for long infeed/outfeed to your equipment.

How big is the shop?

I wish I had plumbing in mine, but that's not possible in any kind of cost/benefit calculation.  My shop is in separate building at LOML's insistence.  Any addition of plumbing to that outbuilding will require a dedicated septic system install.
What a nice shop!  Lots of room and well lit.  Great job on the kayaks too.

Lonnie
Very nice looking shop - congrats! You are blessed to have all that space. I have 24'x30' minus a small utility room and it seems crowded with all the stationary tools. Those kayaks look great - enjoy!

Doug
(03-23-2020, 08:40 PM)WxMan Wrote: I like the way you accommodated the need for long infeed/outfeed to your equipment.

How big is the shop?

I wish I had plumbing in mine, but that's not possible in any kind of cost/benefit calculation.  My shop is in separate building at LOML's insistence.  Any addition of plumbing to that outbuilding will require a dedicated septic system install.

Thanks WxMan, The shop is about 1200 sq ft but it has the shelving down the middle which limits the use of space. The sink is a freestanding laundry tub that drains into a 5 gallon bucket that has a small automatic submersible sump pump pumping into the home septic system.

g

(03-24-2020, 08:58 AM)shoottmx Wrote: Thanks WxMan, The shop is about 1200 sq ft but it has the shelving down the middle which limits the use of space. The sink is a freestanding laundry tub that drains into a 5 gallon bucket that has a small automatic submersible sump pump pumping into the home septic system.

g

Unless I missed it. How do you get big things in and out? You mentioned the TS was a challenge. Did you have to bring it down the steps?
Thanks Mr Eddie & Doug!

Halfathumb--Forgot to mention there's a bulkhead at the far end of the basement that opens to the outside. I had hoped for a daylight basement but couldn't find one that worked.

g

(03-23-2020, 08:23 PM)shoottmx Wrote: I cut the doorway thru the shelving for travel and long rips on the TS.

I like that -- taking command of your space so it serves your needs!

What do you use the smaller bandsaw for?   In your layout, is it serving the lathe, or just tucked out of the way?  Seems like you'd go to the larger bandsaw more frequently as it is more accessible.  I keep my 10" close to my bench, as I use it more frequently for some small cuts and I usually don't need much space on the outfeed. 

Matt
What a great space. Thanks for giving us a peek into your shop.
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

(03-24-2020, 10:21 AM)mdhills Wrote: I like that -- taking command of your space so it serves your needs!

What do you use the smaller bandsaw for?   In your layout, is it serving the lathe, or just tucked out of the way?  Seems like you'd go to the larger bandsaw more frequently as it is more accessible.  I keep my 10" close to my bench, as I use it more frequently for some small cuts and I usually don't need much space on the outfeed. 

Matt

The 10" saw is on wheels so I can use it in place for small parts or easily roll it out when needed. I'd keep it near the bench but there's really no place out of the way but convenient to keep it on that side of the shop. I keep a narrow blade on it for cutting curves, a wide blade on the 17" saw.

g

g