Hardboard Panels and Finishing
Question 
I'm building a dresser.  In between each drawer will be a support frame of 2" pieces in a square.  For a "dust" panel in the middle of each, I'm planning on using hardboard because it's light and there's no support needed.  Will it be okay to lacquer the hardboard, or should I cut a rabbit in each frame and install the hardboard after finishing?  Obviously, it will not be visible in the final product.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
After, no finish.
Like KC, no finish. I can't imagine why you would want to.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I would pick whichever is ultimately less effort. If stub T & G and spraying, install and don't worry about it.

If pre finishing before assembly, probably go with rabbets.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I used 1/4" thick hardboard for vertical dividers for my mat board storage.  I cut multiple slots top and bottom so I could vary the width of the compartments.  But after one year in the damp basement the hardboard swelled enough that removal is impossible.  But other than that, it worked fine.  (And cheap too.)
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
My focus would be that I rarely apply any finish to the interior of an enclosed space that will hold clothing or linens except shellac. Other finishes that quickly lose their odor would also work. For the hardboard I would be fine with no finish. Depending on span and thickness of the HB you may find a center support is required.
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

(03-24-2020, 08:21 AM)GeeDub Wrote: My focus would be that I rarely apply any finish to the interior of an enclosed space that will hold clothing or linens except shellac.  Other finishes that quickly lose their odor would also work.  For the hardboard I would be fine with no finish.  Depending on span and thickness of the HB you may find a center support is required.

Shellac loses its odor quickly and dries very quickly.  I used to use it for drawers. 

I built a furniture-like dog sleeping crate.  Finished it with oil borne poly.  I let it dry for two weeks for a full cure.  My dog would not step inside.  A couple of days later I sprayed the interior with shellac.  That night the dog would go inside and slept like a baby. 

I would leave the door open but he would bark and bark until I closed it.  I think it made him feel secure. 

In any case if the dog could smell poly after two weeks and could not smell shellac after one day, I would say it is fairly smell-free. 

I also tried brushing lacquer, but that was too hostile in the shop (smell), but dried quickly and no odor on drawers.

Nowadays I use Verathane triple thick poly on drawers.  One coat is fine and it seems to be odor free after one day.  Brushes easily with a foam brush.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.