Value of Walnut logs
(03-24-2020, 08:20 AM)FrankAtl Wrote: I might have an opportunity to purchase these logs. I have two people who could pick them up and mill them for me so that shouldn't be a problem. The logs are between 12' and 16' long with the majority being 15" + in diameter. A few of the smaller ones look pretty useless. I know accurate pricing is tough to figure from a picture like this but what do you guys think would be a good price per log for the larger ones?

[Image: 49693707946_c3c15c5408_k.jpg]Walnut logs , on Flickr

My aunt sold one walnut tree each year to supplement her Social Security and savings. These were mostly veneer quality trees that got her $6.00/7.00 a BF. Most of the trees were 30"/40" in diameter and looked to me 120+feet tall. The mill selected and sawed the logs .
If I recall she said she averaged $8000.00 per tree. This was in WV near the PA border.
Your trees are fine for your own wood working but I would think $1.00 BF would be OK only if you milled the logs yourself. Price depends on what it cost to haul and mill these logs.
(03-28-2020, 01:17 PM)mike4244 Wrote: My aunt sold one walnut tree each year to supplement her Social Security and savings. These were mostly veneer quality trees that got her $6.00/7.00 a BF. Most of the trees were 30"/40" in diameter and looked to me 120+feet tall. The mill selected and sawed the logs .
If I recall she said she averaged $8000.00 per tree. 

Yes that sort of tree does exist. If you have a decent grove of mature "forest" trees they can be worth top dollar, and even one high value tree may be worth money to a buyer.  A local guy has a permit to saw Rimu, and can clear that sort of $$ after hiring a helicopter to haul it out. 

But folks have taken that to mean that ANY random yard walnut tree is worth $8,000.  Some are worth $100, some are worth  negative $900 because it's going to cost $1,000 to get a $100 log out of the power lines. 

The logs in the OP are worth "something", maybe $100 each for the better ones. Some of the smaller ones are firewood grade. Still worth "something", even if its only $20, if you can split them up for firewood and sell them for $40 etc.
People see walnut and equate it to gold I have seen just crazy pricing on craiglist. I am probably set for lfe. I use mine mostly for segmented turning. 3 years ago I picked up 400 board feet from a mill in northwestern Wisconsin for $2.25. Very little sap wood. I talked to them and was willing to take more of the narrower boards Most were 4-5" wide.Doesn't matter for segmenting bcause I just cut it small anyway. Came thru at 15/16 after being skipped planed. Totally insane prices at any of the woodworking stores Go straight to the mills or talk to woodworking club members and make a group buy. Yes veneer logs are worth that much because there aren't many around.