Measure twice...
… or three times.  
Sarcasm  

Kitchen cabinets all done.  Laundry cabinets and vanity all done.  Main vanity all done.  Tall linen last to go... and I marked the holes for the pulls on the two drawers wrong.  
Upset   I only drilled one of them wrong... but I punched the hole location (strongly) wrong on the other one as well.  I guess one boo-boo out of 40 pulls is pretty good.  And the one I drilled is in sap (on QSWO), so there's no way the sawdust & glue patch is gonna blend in.  
No   Gonna irritate me every day for the rest of my life.  Thankfully only once a day since the only thing I'll be in that bathroom for is the shower.  

LOML is trying to be supportive. 
Laugh   

They just don't understand.  
Angry
On a big project,  if I have less than 50 mistakes,  I am feeling pretty good. One of my best qualities is I have a very short memory, so immediately after a do a project I see all the mistakes because I remember them, but pretty quickly ,  I forgot about them and don't really notice them.  Congrats on getting the project done.
(03-24-2020, 07:02 PM)KC Wrote: … or three times.  
Sarcasm  

Kitchen cabinets all done.  Laundry cabinets and vanity all done.  Main vanity all done.  Tall linen last to go... and I marked the holes for the pulls on the two drawers wrong.  
Upset   I only drilled one of them wrong... but I punched the hole location (strongly) wrong on the other one as well.  I guess one boo-boo out of 40 pulls is pretty good.  And the one I drilled is in sap (on QSWO), so there's no way the sawdust & glue patch is gonna blend in.  
No   Gonna irritate me every day for the rest of my life.  Thankfully only once a day since the only thing I'll be in that bathroom for is the shower.  

Laugh   

Angry

I've put dowels in those mess up's before, drew the grain in and dabbed some stain in there.
It's hit or miss but sometimes it saved me from making a new door or drawer front.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-24-2020, 07:02 PM)KC Wrote: They just don't understand.  
Angry

You are your own worst critic. We all are. Read this. It's called "The Man in the Arena," by Teddy Rooseveldt.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."
Robin of Kingston
I didn't do that but the last kitchen remodel I did had slide out drawers in the base cabinets.  I marked all the places for pulls and got to drilling the first one that also went into the drawer behind it.  I don't go into that kitchen often last time was about 8 months back and every time I open that cabinet it bugs me.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Sarcasm  

Laugh   

Angry

I had just finished installing a laminate kitchen countertop when the electrician dropped his side cutters from the top of a ladder onto the top. Must of landed straight down as the crack was about the size of nickel. Instead of replacing the top which would be a real PITA I asked the home owner if I could try something first. I got a silver dollar from the electrician who I knew collected coins. 
I made a template for a router. I had originally thought a Forstner bit would be the simplest way to prepare the hole but needed a custom size for the coin.
After routing the hole I sprayed the coin with lacquer several times to prevent tarnish. I glued the coin with an epoxy. 
The homeowner liked the fix, the electrician was only out a silver dollar instead of the cost of a 10'- 0 top with a 3'-0 return.
Depending on where your error was , maybe you could do something similar. Maybe a brass plug made from a small brass cabinet pull?
Just re-read your post. Get a plug cutter. Cut a plug , orient the grain with the tapered plug sitting proud of the door. Mark the plug to remove excess plug from the bottom. Cut it off leaving the plug 1/32" proud. glue the plug in making sure the grain is in line with the grain in the door. Use a glue that dries clear like Wonder glue. Later sand the plug flush.
Often with plugs the grain swirls and does not line up like you want.  That is why I suggested marking the plug and cutting it 1/32" proud before gluing it in.

mike
What Stwood said.  Plug it or use filler; I've even used Bondo.  Then paint in the color and add grain lines.  Or, as others have said, celebrate the defect in some way.  

John
Sarcasm  

Laugh   

Angry

Back in the late 80's I built a roll top desk. We lived in a bi-level home where we had to go up steps after coming in the front door. Of course, LOML wanted the desk right at the top os the stair. So everyday when I got home and walked up the stairs all I could see was my mistakes. LOML thought it was beautiful of course.
In the last house I built for myself we were living in it for about a month when I noticed a piece of door casing where it meets the wall wasn't milled correctly. Couldn;t see it from the front. Every time i went into that room that is where my eye went automatically. After about two months of that i ripped it out and replaced it. Couldn't take it anymore. Wife said I was crazy. No one else would probably ever notice. She was probably right. But I did. Every time.
(03-25-2020, 09:27 AM)jteneyck Wrote: What Stwood said.  Plug it or use filler; I've even used Bondo.  Then paint in the color and add grain lines.  Or, as others have said, celebrate the defect in some way.  

John

I filled it with CA and fine sanding dust from the immediate area.  Looks bad so far, and I expect it'll be worse with stain.  But I've decided to celebrate it as the 'rare' error in the overall scope of the project.  

Yesterday for probably the 4th time since I've had the SawStop I misread the fence measurement guide.  Not like it never happened in the past, but way more frequently than on the Xacata saw.