The Staked Chair Project Begins
Derek:

That part of the task was by far the easiest: I simply purchased The Anarchist's Desgin Book by Chris Schwarz
and followed his directions for the angle layout for the Staked Chair.  All the sight line angles and resultant angles are provided.
He also goes into depth on how to formulate these angles, should one decide to come up with a homegrown design. He has posted some of this on the web over the past number of years.

Phil

(03-29-2020, 08:32 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Hi Philip

Tell us how you arrived at the rake, splay and resultant angles. This is at the very heart of a staked build.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Dry-fit of legs to chair seat.  I tapered the legs slightly and am happy with the look. Its almost starting to look like a chair:

Looking good. Are you going to taper the seat sides from front to rear? The first staked chair I made, I left the sides square, and shaped the radius on the rear. Did not like that look, so when I made a set of them, I tapered the seats from front to rear. I would have to go back and look at the book, but I don't think Chris S. was clear on that detail.
I am glad you mentioned that: I had planned to taper, but recently thought that straight-sided D shape might work. OK, I will go with taper: how much of a taper from front to back do you think would look good?

(03-31-2020, 06:55 PM)Scoony Wrote: Looking good. Are you going to taper the seat sides from front to rear?  The first staked chair I made, I left the sides square, and shaped the radius on the rear. Did not like that look, so when I made a set of them, I tapered the seats from front to rear. I would have to go back and look at the book, but I don't think Chris S. was clear on that detail.
(03-31-2020, 07:28 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: I am glad you mentioned that: I had planned to taper, but recently thought that straight-sided D shape might work.  OK, I will go with taper: how much of a taper from front to back do you think would look good?

I really think the taper looks better. I played around with different tapers using cardboard. This is what I ended up with.

16" width at the rear

17 1/4" width at the front

Final chair. I made a set of 4.

These are actually comfortable to sit in.  Lightweight, but also seem to be very strong. No fear of these breaking.
Very nice looking chairs: I hope my chair comes out looking half as good. I will check with the boss and see what she prefers. Thanks for posting that!
Nice looking chair, Scoony! What wood is that? Looks like a little figure in that seat. Did you bend the comb or saw it from thicker stock? And what finishes did you use? Sorry for all the questions, my brother has asked me to make him a set of 6 chairs so I’m getting prepared!

Phil, can’t wait to see your cherry chair!

Thanks.
Kevin
(04-01-2020, 06:39 AM)kwadams Wrote: Nice looking chair, Scoony! What wood is that? Looks like a little figure in that seat. Did you bend the comb or saw it from thicker stock? And what finishes did you use? Sorry for all the questions, my brother has asked me to make him a set of 6 chairs so I’m getting prepared!

Phil, can’t wait to see your cherry chair!

Thanks.
Kevin

The seats are curly sassafras. A great wood to work with hand tools. Plus makes your shop smell like root beer. The legs are ash and the spiindles and crest are red oak. 

For the comb, I used a steam box and steamer (wallpaper remover) and left each comb in the form for a week. It took an entire month to get all four combs.  

The green paint is milk paint from the Real Milk Paint company.
Thanks, Scoony, appreciate the insight, that’s a very nice chair. Will have to see if I can find some sassafras up my way when we are able to get out and about again.

Kevin
More progress: moving on to the crest rail next.