Mitered dining table legs
(03-26-2020, 10:57 AM)EBamba Wrote: Thanks for the sketch. The manufactures dimensions you noted, was that for the legs/base of the image I posted? I found the image on Google and was using it as an example of what I was planing to make. Curious how you found the manufactures dimensions.
I think that the hidden spline miter joint would be the best option for me. Maybe add 3/4" exposed splines after glue up using the spiral bit I already have. Still would need to make a spline jig, but without the fuss of a box/finger joint jig (did that make sense lol?).

I did a Google image search and came across the manufacturer's site. They have SketchUp model files for the various tables. I opened one of the dining tables and checked it out. The dimensions are in millimeters so I basically worked from what they had and made a cleaner version and rounded dimensions to the nearest 1/16 in.

Hidden splines or loose tenons would make sense. I'd probably put in two loose tenons as was mentioned earlier. If you wanted to put in splines after glue up, I'd consider making a fixture with a template you can clamp to the assembly and then route the slots by hand. I probably would use 1/2 in. thick splines instead of 3/4 in. thick so a smaller cutter would be in order.
Half blind dovetails were the exposed parts are on the top and bottom - won't be seen and are really strong.  Pocket screws will work also.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Dowels.

That is probably how the original is being produced.  In a factory dowels can be very fast with special equipment.  We can replicate that in our home shop but more slowly (but quicker than most other options).

Through dowels are the easiest but you will have to show a sample to your "client" for approval.  It makes a nice contrast.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
There is another article on L-shaped loose tenons in FWW #268.  I knew there was more recent article - May/June 2018.  

L-shaped loose tenons.

John
(03-26-2020, 11:27 AM)EBamba Wrote: Thanks GeeDub. I was trying to respond to you earlier about the floating tenon example, which I found doing a search. For some reason jteneycki's quote keeps showing up on my replies. Not sure how to stop it.

John has super powers
Big Grin
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

(03-26-2020, 07:30 PM)jteneyck Wrote: There is another article on L-shaped loose tenons in FWW #268.  I knew there was more recent article - May/June 2018.  

L-shaped loose tenons.

John

Interesting article. If you don't have a FWW subscription the author, Timothy Coleman, also has it available on his website HERE