Got any tips on making a long mitered spline?
Tracksaw.
VH07V  
Biscuits, dowels or dominoes let you take the tool to the material. This is often desirable for large panels from an ease and safety point of view. If your panels will be ply, a tall fence at the tablesaw could work fine. The exit wounds would be hidden by the edge trim.
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

I use splines.   You can hide or expose them as you desire.  Clamp on a straight edge guide.   I then set the old Saw Boss to 45*.   Do a quick test cut on some scrap to establish the proper distance to set the guide.   Simple, quick, easy.  All cuts use the same clamp setup dimension.   Blade makes 1/8" Kerf and I cut the splines on the TS.
If you are using solid lumber then you end up with end grain to end grain joints.

If you are using plywood, then 50% of the joints will be end grain to end grain, and 50% will be face grain to face grain.  I have assembled furniture using plywood and mitered joints and the joints are surprisingly strong. 

Make a test piece and check.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(03-26-2020, 09:28 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: Hi,
 #1 daughter wants me to make the attached dresser.  It ain't my style but hey, it is hers.  I'll be using cherry and I'm thinking of joining the carcass with miters.  However, I would like to reinforce them with miters  (I might stop the miters short of the front so I need to attach a face frame but that's still TBD).

My Unisaw is right-tilt but my table can't accommodate the required 59" width I need so I'm not sure how I can cut the spline.  I guess I could rig up something with my router/router table but that might be unwieldy.

2 Questions:

1) Would you go with a mitered spline?  (I could cut DTs to join the carcass, but I don' think that's in keeping with the style.)  If not a mitered spline, how would you connect the sides?

2) If a mitered spline is the way to go, how would you cut it???

Thanks!

(i'll also check youtube to see how others cut large mitered splines).

If you have room under the top and along the sides you could use a strip of wood beveled at 45 deg. to hold the joint together. And yes, it is tough getting old, even for this German.
Big Grin