Need a little Emmert turtleback vise help
I recently acquired and restored an Emmert turtleback patternmakers vise (type T3.2).  I took photos of everything before and as I was disassembling it - with one exception. 
Rolleyes   I can't figure out what to do with the main screw nut.  It obviously slides over the beam and the main screw runs through the center of it.  Is it supposed to be attached somehow to the hub?  When it's not attached it just travels back and forth when I turn the screw, which means the jaws don't open.  But when I attach it to the hub with the two machine screws there it's too tight to rotate the jaws.  Loosening the screws doesn't help because they self-tighten when the jaws are rotated.  I'm obviously doing something wrong, but I can't find photos, videos, or legible diagrams on the Internet of how that part of the vise is supposed to look.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
"The best marriage advice I ever received was: 'You can live with ugly, but bad cooking can kill you.'" Uncle Albert Styndl
I have a Yost and it has a small nut with a dovetailed flange that fits inside the main hub and engages the screw to move the jaws in and out. Not sure if this helps.
(03-26-2020, 08:25 PM)Scoony Wrote: I have a Yost and it has a small nut with a dovetailed flange that fits inside the main hub and engages the screw to move the jaws in and out. Not sure if this helps.

Thanks.  I don't think the Emmert turtleback is constructed the same way as the Yost, at least not at the hub.  But if it is, mine was missing that piece.
"The best marriage advice I ever received was: 'You can live with ugly, but bad cooking can kill you.'" Uncle Albert Styndl
I have a T2, which is the same as as your T3 as far as the nut and hub goes.
The nut sits in the counterbore in the front of the hub - it moves freely.

Phil
Here are some photos.

Phil
(03-27-2020, 10:48 AM)PCG Wrote: I have a T2, which is the same as as your T3 as far as the nut and hub goes.
The nut sits in the counterbore in the front of the hub - it moves freely.

Phil

That's it!  I put the nut on the outside of the counterbore.  Duh.  Many thanks Phil.  Charlie