Entry bench build
Here's a bench I just finished for the front entry of my home.  I thought I would make my first attempt at through tenons, having only used loose tenons before.  It did not turn out well, but I was able to salvage it by doing some inlay.

Here's the material milled up, the top was one big oak slab that was badly cupped.  I was able to slice it up and flatten it before gluing back together.

[Image: OzWCcVr.jpg]

Here are my horrendous mortises.  After drilling them out, I had a terrible time trying to chisel out the rest as the oak was so hard.

[Image: Rzjfza0.jpg] 
And all glued up with epoxy.

[Image: KihlXbV.jpg]

Inlay routed out for a Mona Kea design requested by my wife.

[Image: KhbZNl9.jpg]

And finished with macadamia inlay and a coat of teak oil.

[Image: 3DijIjn.jpg]
Nice bench and really nice recovery on the tenons - simple and elegant IMO!

Doug
All that matters is what it looks like when you are done, and that looks great.  

John
Great save!             and 17
Excellent recovery!Good looking bench too!

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
Nice design feature. Clean looking bench.
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

Well done! I really like the look of the inlays, nice feature.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Off topic here a bit.  But what is the flooring?  Concrete?  Terrazzo?

And what kind of construction is this?  There seems to be a steel beam between the wood planks.

Sturdy looking bench. 

It would have been easier to drill robust dowels and then add the arrows.  I could create rough looking dowels faster and easier than I can  produce rough looking tenons. 
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin

I am going to make one of these benches too.  I am thinking of welding a base and under-mounting it.   Or maybe blind dowels. 

But a handsome bench no matter.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Nice looking fix.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(03-27-2020, 01:18 PM)Cooler Wrote: Off topic here a bit.  But what is the flooring?  Concrete?  Terrazzo?

And what kind of construction is this?  There seems to be a steel beam between the wood planks.

Sturdy looking bench. 

It would have been easier to drill robust dowels and then add the arrows.  I could create rough looking dowels faster and easier than I can  produce rough looking tenons. 
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin

I am going to make one of these benches too.  I am thinking of welding a base and under-mounting it.   Or maybe blind dowels. 

But a handsome bench no matter.

It's just a concrete walkway, and the steel posts are part of the fence system.  I wanted to try my hand at through tenons, but I wont be doing that again.  My busted up wrist can't take the chisel work it required.

[Image: 2jv98Bc.jpg]