Trim Router
Why has no one mentioned the 18v Makita? Or the corded version? Powerful, reliable, ergonomic, many, many accessories including a range of bases.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Agree, the Makita 18v is very well made and works great. Esp if you’ve invested in their 18v system.

Kevin
(03-28-2020, 10:34 AM)Greg Jones Wrote: Bosch does have a plunge base for the 1-¼ Colt.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschto...-196288-p/

Thanks Greg.  I am behind the times.  I appreciate you catching my misinformation
Smile
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

(03-29-2020, 08:03 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Why has no one mentioned the 18v Makita? Or the corded version? Powerful, reliable, ergonomic, many, many accessories including a range of bases.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Somebody thinks the Makita corded trim router is good enough to knock off
Yes . Grizzly & MLCS both sell the knock-off. I bought the Grizzly, wanted a plunge base and the Bosch was pretty spendy at the time. The fit and finish is mediocre on the Grizzly but it works fine. The plunge base needs 2 hands, one on each handle. If I try to plunge it using just one handle it binds some. That may be typical of plunge bases, don't know. It's variable speed but doesn't seem to have much torque at low speeds. But then I'm not sure how slow the speed the bits typically used in small routers needs to be. The size is excellent for light duty uses, very nimble. $70 with both bases.
Kurt, I have both the Makita and the clone. The collet on the clone is decent, but the Makita is better, and so I swapped it out for one from a company that supplies them for CNC use. So doing, the performance of the two routers is identical. The fit and finish of the clone is excellent - not as good as the Makita, but very acceptable. Power is good, balance is good. Both have excellent dust control with the trim base.

The point is, the Makita is an excellent trim router. Mine is the corded version. The battery version may be even better - more power and an internal light.

Lots of choices for bases ...

[Image: Colleta.jpg]

And one I made ...

[Image: Main.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com