Trim Router
Not to hijack, but I bought a used Bosch colt a while back, and used it a few times and could never get the fine adjust to work smoothly, and wasn't even sure it worked at all.  Last week, before reading this post,  I was going to use it and spent a lot of time trying to get the fine adjust to work smoothly,  loosened the nut on the main clamp, tightened, moved the base around to different positions to try to get it work right, and finally just gave up.  Wish I had read this post last week, would have saved me the trouble.
I would really like to buy the dewalt cordless trim router, but nobody has reviewed it.  Anyone have one?
First, decide if you want t trim router or a "Palm" router. A trim router like the little Porter Cable and DeWalts have been usurped by not-as-small but, powerful little routers like the Bosch Colt and the DeWalt/PC 1-1/4 HP units. Funny how new things change our view. The fine adjustment on the Bosch Colt was raved about when it came out. Yes, you have to twist to the lock position in order for the adjuster to work, It proves a bit too finicky for many.

Although I have a lot of Colt based setups, If I were buying new today I would go with the DeWalt since the New Bosch 1-1/4HP does not offer a plunge yet. The original Colt in its plunge base is hard to beat and I think Bosch screwed up not offering the plunge immediately with the new model. The DeWalt is a larger form factor but, offers better adjustability IMHO. Having used these for awhile as mini-routers, not as laminate trimmers, I would require variable speed. Without it the tool is pretty limited.
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

I have the original Bosch Colt and a newer DeWalt trim router.  The DeWalt is head and shoulders better than the Bosch.  The Bosch does not hold bit depth very well even with an aftermarket base.  The DeWalt holds depth perfectly, has a very handy LED light, and is easier to use.  I'd buy the DeWalt again.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
(03-28-2020, 09:51 AM)GeeDub Wrote: First, decide if you want t trim router or a "Palm" router. A trim router like the little Porter Cable and DeWalts have been usurped by not-as-small but, powerful little routers like the Bosch Colt and the DeWalt/PC 1-1/4 HP units. Funny how new things change our view. The fine adjustment on the Bosch Colt was raved about when it came out. Although I have a lot of Colt based setups, If I were buying new today I would go with the DeWalt since the New Bosch 1-1/4HP does not offer a plunge yet. The original Colt in its plunge base is hard to beat and I think Bosch screwed up not offering the plunge immediately with the new model...
Bosch does have a plunge base for the 1-¼ Colt.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschto...-196288-p/
I have 1 Bosch palm router and as mentioned previously it is certainly very difficult to adjust finally but it is a good router otherwise has a fairly good edge guide as well.

I have two of the Dewalt 611‘s with fixed and plunge bases they are great little routers.

So good in fact that many of the small form factor CNC machines have mounts that are compatible with those or the Makita router and I prefer the Dewalt in those applications.

Having used cordless tools now for 25 years or so I never would’ve considered a cordless router to be a good investment until I bought a jointer from a guy that had a small cabinet shop.
While I was there I noticed one of the cordless routers and asked how he liked it. He said it was his go to router for edging and rounding over.

I picked one up and I must say it it really is a very nice router for handheld use with no cord to get in the way and it’s not as hungry for battery as you would think.

Duke
(03-28-2020, 12:50 AM)Tapper Wrote: I have the Bosch Colt and the Dewalt 611PK kit with both bases. Bought the Bosch first and had the same complaints mentioned by others relative to the depth stop mechanism. The Dewalt is my "go to" small router. Great ergonomics and plenty of power.

Did a quick search and found this. Not familiar with this site but if it's legit I've never seen a better price.

Doug

That looks to go to be true. That's $100 off any price I've seen. Even the list price is $60 off from Amazon. I will head down to Home Depot to check this one out. 

Thanks all for the feedback.

Just did a quick search of the company and it appears to be a scam.
(03-28-2020, 12:02 PM)Mike 55 Wrote: Just did a quick search of the company and it appears to be a scam.

I would agree.  I went through the process just to see how far I would get before things got weird.  It prompted me to add a credit card to my Pay Pal account as this info was supposedly missing. Checked with  Pay Pal and my credit card info is fine.  I'm not saying their a scam; I'm just reporting what happened.  What could have happened is not something I want to find out ;-)
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

The old, no-longer-made but often found in the used market Porter Cable 310. Terrific little router.

I just got the June 
Rolleyes  2020 issue of FWW. There's a review of the Milwaukee 2723-20 cordless router. It's a small thing with no plunge base, so it probably fits in the trim category. The reviewer praised it through the roof, said if it had been available a few months ago, it would have won their cordless router shootout. I have no first hand experience.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I have the Ridgid trim router. I like it pretty well. The construction and base are really good. The adjustment is very good as well. It holds adjustments well.

What I don't like about it is the ergonomics for me. If I hold it from the top, it tips too easily. If I hold it from the side, my arm gets tired. Maybe that's just all trump routers? If I had known I would end up with DeWalt 20v tools, I would have gotten one of those instead.

I use mine almost exclusively with a chamfer bit to knock down edges.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.