Titebond liquid hide vs. Old Brown glues
For complex glue-ups where long open times are handy, is there much of a practical difference between Titebond LHG and OBG? Do any of you have experience with both? I'm talking about joinery, not veneer or anything like that.

Thanks.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I've used both and can't tell any difference. I like OBG because they write the expiration date clearly on the bottle. Franklin has some sort of goofy date code often too faint to read, or half rubbed off.
I've also used both (but not extensively) and not noticed any difference.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(03-28-2020, 11:26 PM)Aram Wrote: For complex glue-ups where long open times are handy, is there much of a practical difference between Titebond LHG and OBG? Do any of you have experience with both? I'm talking about joinery, not veneer or anything like that.

Thanks.

(03-29-2020, 05:36 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I've also used both (but not extensively) and not noticed any difference.

Thank you both.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Ahh,  the joys of home office / furlough reading!

Chris
Chris
I've used them both quite a bit, as well as the "Fish Glue" that StewMac sells. All three are excellent, and there's no discernible difference in the cured glue line. However Titebond takes significantly longer before it "grabs", which is often helpful when one needs time to persuade parts into alignment. OBG and Fish Glue both grab pretty quickly.
(06-11-2020, 06:04 PM)Maple Leaf Wrote: I've used them both quite a bit, as well as the "Fish Glue" that StewMac sells. All three are excellent, and there's no discernible difference in the cured glue line. However Titebond takes significantly longer before it "grabs", which is often helpful when one needs time to persuade parts into alignment. OBG and Fish Glue both grab pretty quickly.

Once OBG grabs, can you still break it loose, reposition and have a successful glue up? Or, once it grabs, is that it for moving parts?
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I've "cooked" my own hide glue, have used Titebond and OBG, and prefer Titebond. It has a bit more open time, but, if you "rub" the joint, grip happens very quickly.

A glue that should be tried is the new PVA from Tools for Working Wood. It is a white glue and I now prefer it over any other similar formula (but hide glue remains my top choice).
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Curt,

Once OBS grabs you better like it. You can actually break it loose, but you'll have to take it apart, clean it up and start over. Same thing with Fish Glue. So if there's any question, I default to Titebond.

dp
Link to the glue mentioned by TonyZ: https://toolsforworkingwood.com/store/it...+Wood+Glue