Building website
I replace our old porch and now have to install a new railing, under the new codes. I was looking around for information on spacing, etc., when I ran across this site that makes all of the calculations on baluster spacing, number of balusters, etc. It does the same for a bunch of other constructs, such as stair risers, foundations, etc. though I would post it here for any who might need that kind of help.

http://www.blocklayer.com
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
Looked at the Deck calculator. What are "stumps" and "bearers"?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(03-29-2020, 02:32 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Looked at the Deck calculator. What are "stumps" and "bearers"?

If you go below there are check boxes for everything, unclick a checkbox and that item will disappear, I'm guessing the site is from a UK country.

Stumps are what we call deck blocks: 742786403216.jpg

Bearers are the load bearing boards that the joists will be mounted to, run parallel to the deck boards.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
I could have used that when I built our back lanai. What I ended up doing was going metric. Made the balustrade spacing calculations much easier.
VH07V  
(03-29-2020, 03:59 PM)Scouter Wrote: If you go below there are check boxes for everything, unclick a checkbox and that item will disappear, I'm guessing the site is from a UK country.

Stumps are what we call deck blocks: 742786403216.jpg

Bearers are the load bearing boards that the joists will be mounted to, run parallel to the deck boards.

I have never seen a deck built that way. I have seen the blocks but they wouldn't pass building codes for a deck. They're uses here to sit small sheds on. Anything not requiring a permit can be set on those blocks... here (Maryland), that would be 60 sq ft or under.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(03-29-2020, 05:07 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I have never seen a deck built that way. I have seen the blocks but they wouldn't pass building codes for a deck. They're uses here to sit small sheds on. Anything not requiring a permit can be set on those blocks... here (Maryland), that would be 60 sq ft or under.

Again, I am just guessing about the cement blocks. My thought is that these are the vertical supports, whatever they may be, just by looking at their placement in the diagram.
Mike

(03-29-2020, 05:07 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I have never seen a deck built that way. I have seen the blocks but they wouldn't pass building codes for a deck. They're uses here to sit small sheds on. Anything not requiring a permit can be set on those blocks... here (Maryland), that would be 60 sq ft or under.

That's because you have a frost line. They are perfectly adequate for decks with n frost line assuming your soil can support it. They are not common in the rust belt but they are very common in the crematoria regions of the country. That said I rarely use them on anything.