Questions to ask before starting a loft conversion
I want to have another functional room in the house, so I'm planning to start a loft conversion project. I'll also be working with one of these architects Middlesbrough that my best friend recommended. But before calling them, are there particular questions about the project that I shouldn't forget to ask them, especially legal ones? Your replies will be much appreciated. TIA.
Does your architect have E&O and liability insurance?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(03-30-2020, 01:34 AM)Candace Drew Wrote: I want to have another functional room in the house, so I'm planning to start a loft conversion project. I'll also be working with one of these architects Middlesbrough that my best friend recommended. But before calling them, are there particular questions about the project that I shouldn't forget to ask them, especially legal ones? Your replies will be much appreciated. TIA.

YES! This probably isn't what you were asking about BUT:

Make sure the architect is intimately familiar with the building code applicable in your area. My area (PA) just adopted the 2015 International Residential Code. One of the changes from the previous code regarded LOFTS (what the code calls mezzanines)!

https://buildingcodetrainer.com/mezzanin...uirements/

In 2009IRC, a loft was defined as any elevated floor between a floor and a ceiling, open to the floor below (i.e. a loft or mezzanine). 2015 restricted the definition to only those floors that are less than 1/3 of the floor space below them. Why do we care?

The IRC provides an allowance that mezzanine/loft spaces need not be counted in a building's square footage. That means, less sqft to pay taxes on. Township zoning need not be addressed - as I understand it, mezzanines/lofts are not "floors". If you add a loft to a single story 2000sqft home, from the township's perspective, your home remains a single story 2000sqft home. Under 2009, you could almost double your usable square footage and not pay any more for it.
(03-30-2020, 01:34 AM)Candace Drew Wrote: I want to have another functional room in the house, so I'm planning to start a loft conversion project. I'll also be working with one of these architects Middlesbrough that my best friend recommended. But before calling them, are there particular questions about the project that I shouldn't forget to ask them, especially legal ones? Your replies will be much appreciated. TIA.

Does he or she need a civil structural engineer to sign off the structural mods? I have not had great experiences with architects. I guess my thinking is, if you need a structural sign-off, why bother with a licensed architect? Just get anyone to prepare plans, show code compliance, and get the engineer to sign it?

Other question I'd ask is what your builder thinks. Having builders and architects who get along is good.