Veneer Press
I’ve been working the last few months to build a veneer press large enough to do small table tops and panels.  I used the directions from the Joe Woodworker site and bought my pump and related items from Joe.  The frame size is 32” x 34” so I can press up panels about 26” x 28”.

I used a Kreg base for the table.  The top is made of ¾” apple ply with ¾” MDF on top.  I screwed them together from the bottom.  I bought some laminate and glued it up with contact cement.  This was my first project with laminate and it went together with no problems.  The top is dead flat.  I am using one half of the table for the press and the other half will hold my small lathe.

I want to try adding some marquetry and more intricate banding to my work.  I think the press is going to be much easier to use than a bag for what I want to do.  The press sealed up tight the very first try.  It takes about 30 seconds to draw down and the pump comes on about every ten minutes.  The pump only runs about 8-10 seconds when it cycles on.  I am excited to do my first project in the coming weeks.  Comments and questions are welcome.

Lonnie

That looks great.  I built one nearly 4 x 8.  As Joe Woodworker said, it leaks quite a lot and I have to run the vacuum pump continuously to maintain adequate vacuum.  It's not of much use with the long cure plastic resin glue and epoxy I normally use.  Too bad, as it's much easier to load than a vacuum bag.  It sounds like yours is going to work well, however, so that's good.  

John
(03-30-2020, 09:32 PM)jteneyck Wrote: That looks great.  I built one nearly 4 x 8.  As Joe Woodworker said, it leaks quite a lot and I have to run the vacuum pump continuously to maintain adequate vacuum.  It's not of much use with the long cure plastic resin glue and epoxy I normally use.  Too bad, as it's much easier to load than a vacuum bag.  It sounds like yours is going to work well, however, so that's good.  

John

Thanks John.  You might try the gasket seal tape that Joe sells.  I don't know what it's made of but it sticks like glue to the laminate.  Even with no vacuum it sticks - I have to use my fingers to gently pry the frame up.
No doubt that's easier to use than bags, I remember someone here (I think it was Pirate) has a pool table slate that was roughly 4 x 7 that he used for the same thing...as I recall he was happy with the results. I think a smaller one would especially be handier just for the speed of doing it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(03-30-2020, 09:38 PM)Mr Eddie Wrote: Thanks John.  You might try the gasket seal tape that Joe sells.  I don't know what it's made of but it sticks like glue to the laminate.  Even with no vacuum it sticks - I have to use my fingers to gently pry the frame up.

I did use Joe's gasket tape but it doesn't stick like you said to the Melamine substrate I used.  

[Image: ng2SDW6Rb8lywtd3cLiXshbapARhj54vK4SGKRdf...35-h626-no]

John
That's a nice looking press John.  I'd be tempted to put a sheet of laminate under it and try it with some new tape.  You make a lot of larger items and that would sure be handy.

Lonnie
(03-31-2020, 10:42 AM)Mr Eddie Wrote: That's a nice looking press John.  I'd be tempted to put a sheet of laminate under it and try it with some new tape.  You make a lot of larger items and that would sure be handy.

Lonnie

Why do you think laminate will work better than Melamine?  Not arguing, just curious.  I sure was hoping this would work as it's easy to load and larger than even my largest vacuum bag and would allow me to layout several parts at once with minimal effort.  And it would work OK as it is if I can find a glue that sets up quicker than PRG.  I've been looking at Titebond Polyurethane.  It has good properties for veneer work and sets up in just a couple of hours for flat work.  

Thanks.

John
(03-30-2020, 06:49 PM)Mr Eddie Wrote: I’ve been working the last few months to build a veneer press large enough to do small table tops and panels.  I used the directions from the Joe Woodworker site and bought my pump and related items from Joe.  The frame size is 34” x 36” so I can press up panels about 28” x 30”.

Your whole setup looks pretty snazzy there. Good job!
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-31-2020, 03:17 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Why do you think laminate will work better than Melamine?  Not arguing, just curious.  I sure was hoping this would work as it's easy to load and larger than even my largest vacuum bag and would allow me to layout several parts at once with minimal effort.  And it would work OK as it is if I can find a glue that sets up quicker than PRG.  I've been looking at Titebond Polyurethane.  It has good properties for veneer work and sets up in just a couple of hours for flat work.  

Thanks.

John

No scientific reason to base my opinion on.  If IIRC laminate is made of several layers and melamine is actually sprayed on and hardens to form the surface under low pressure.  Laminate is high pressure.  My gut feel is the laminate is smoother and the tape sticks/seals better.  I know I already said this but after taking the hose off the frame and waiting a few minutes I had to pry the frame up.  I think I'll email Joe and see if the tape I received is something new he switched to recently.  I think it would be hard to seal a long frame.  Maybe using wider, thicker, heavier stock like hard maple would do the trick.  I've seem frames using small latches to help seal too.  I'll let you know what I hear back from Joe.  I'd be glad to send you a sample of this tape if you want to check it out.  Might be different from what you got.
Lonnie
(03-31-2020, 03:39 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Your whole setup looks pretty snazzy there. Good job!

Thanks Steve!