What type of wood is this?
Found some wood on FB marketplace. Seller says they were bed slats. I can not tell what type of wood it is. I asked if they could make a mark with there finger nail and see if it made a mark. They said it didn’t.

So I’m thinking a hardwood maybe cherry or red oak

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks like Douglas Fir to me
Older growth doug fir is my guess too
I have 3" x 8" floor joists in my basement made from Douglas fir.  I imagine that it is old growth as some of them are about 30' long. 

I guess the wood hardens over time because when I tried screwing in some drywall screws I snapped the head off of them, and I bent nails trying to drive them in. 

They are an almost red/black color from age.  It looks like some of the boards you are showing, but not all of them.  The ones on the bottom right do not resemble my joists; the rest do.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Could be aged, darkened yellow pine. Some kind of pine anyways.
I can't see anyone knowingly using an expensive hardwood for bed slats.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Looks like pine to me. I’ve bought several sets of similar slats. Old pine is fine stuff.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
You're in NJ, so it's pine, not fir. I don't think it's old growth. The growth rings are too large, and it's not exactly 2" x 4", and it wouldn't have the beveled corners. If harvested prior to WWII, it would have been closer to real 2x4 dimensions. If harvested post WWII, it would not have been used for bed slats. Too valuable.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Looks like yellow pine to me.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(04-01-2020, 06:21 PM)AHill Wrote: You're in NJ, so it's pine, not fir.  I don't think it's old growth.  The growth rings are too large, and it's not exactly 2" x 4", and it wouldn't have the beveled corners. If harvested prior to WWII, it would have been closer to real 2x4 dimensions.  If harvested post WWII, it would not have been used for bed slats.  Too valuable.

Bed slats would not be closer to 1 x 4, not 2x4 and would actually have beveled corners.. My guess is yellow pine.
(04-01-2020, 08:07 PM)Scoony Wrote: Bed slats would not be closer to 1 x 4, not 2x4 and would actually have beveled corners.. My guess is yellow pine.

The post says they are 39x2x3/4