How to Make a Fnish Rough
Yup, you heard right. Everything I have always done has been focused on making it smooth.

I am building small step stools for kids and I want to make the steps have a little traction so stocking feet won't slip. 
I have tried to rough up the wood a little but that just raises splinters.

Are there any spray/wipe-on products that are clear and durable that can be purchased on a small scale?

Recommendations?

Thanks 
Mark
(04-01-2020, 03:20 PM)sawnuts Wrote: Yup, you heard right. Everything I have always done has been focused on making it smooth.

I am building small step stools for kids and I want to make the steps have a little traction so stocking feet won't slip. 

Are there any spray/wipe-on products that are clear and durable that can be purchased on a small scale?

Recommendations?

Thanks 
Mark

Add beach sand to a heavy bodied finish, or use high traction deck paint, or use self adhesive anti slip stair tread strips.  

John
You can get clear, non-skid spray by searching for clear, non-skid spray. It's at the various home centers or online, or maybe just online. Besides, the line to get into home depot this morning was effing nuts. Can't say how durable it is, but at $17 bucks a can it must be good.

I might use 80-grit PSA sandpaper. Not an attractive color, but you might be able to paint it. Still not very attractive, but I'm just kicking ideas out there. Plus paint would likely reduce its thread snagging.
(04-01-2020, 03:20 PM)sawnuts Wrote: Finish as you like then apply clear non-slip adhesive strips used for shower and bath. There are clear ones made for exterior use but they tend to be rather rough for little feet.
Might even consider some of the child themed non-slip products. Might look online for those.

Yup, you heard right. Everything I have always done has been focused on making it smooth.

Recommendations?

Thanks 
Mark
Thanks Everyone,
I should have called it Clear Anti Skid coating. When I search for that term I get lots of hits.

Thanks.

Mark
(04-02-2020, 02:41 PM)sawnuts Wrote: Thanks Everyone,
I should have called it Clear Anti Skid coating. When I search for that term I get lots of hits.

Thanks.

Mark

Late to the party, but casting coarse sand into epoxy does the trick. Sweep off excess after it has cured.
Use your router to make several shallow grooves on the surface about 1/2" apart; you can use almost any pattern you want, but I would run horizontal  grooves.  

I have a 3 step folding wood ladder at home and it has these grooves.

I found this image.  This looks effective and easy to do on the table saw. 

[Image: il_570xN.1015344687_hsrh.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.