I need a wide chunk of cherry.
I need a wide piece of cherry for a jewelry box I am making for my wife.  9.5 x 15.  I have a large 8/4 board that is wide enough 7" to resaw and matchbook to get a 13" wide board to cut down to work.  The concerns is the board is not particularly interesting that the bookmatch would be spectacular.

If I was to try to resaw and bookmatch how should I best join the boards?  I have a biscuit joiner I can pull out of storage or half lap the joint.

Is there a place I might be able to order a smaller chunk of 10" wide cherry or a particularly nice slab of cherry?

Photo attached of what I think is my cherry next to maple for comparison.

Attached Files Image(s)

A carpenter's house is never done.
I'd just glue them together. No need for any biscuits.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(04-02-2020, 02:08 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I'd just glue them together. No need for any biscuits.

+1
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

An alternative would be to glue up the bland cherry and then veneer it with some spectacular cherry.  You can buy small pieces from Joe Woodworker and others.  

John
(04-02-2020, 02:15 PM)jteneyck Wrote: An alternative would be to glue up the bland cherry and then veneer it with some spectacular cherry.  You can buy small pieces from Joe Woodworker and others.  

John

I have never veneered but am tempted to try a few questions on it.

The finished edge will be routed and then have two cuts in it.

Will a nonvacuum pressed veneer withstand this extra cutting?

Would I need a special glue or would TB 2 or 3 work?

Photo attached of the plan I am basing this on.

Attached Files Image(s)

(04-02-2020, 04:06 PM)photobug Wrote: I have never veneered but am tempted to try a few questions on it.

The finished edge will be routed and then have two cuts in it.

Will a nonvacuum pressed veneer withstand this extra cutting?  Yes.  For a small piece like that you don't need a vacuum press.  Clamp it with  a couple pieces of plywood, etc. cauls on both sides.  A piece of burlap on both sides or something else that will accommodate any slight variation in thickness of the veneer will assure even pressure everywhere and a good bond.   

Would I need a special glue or would TB 2 or 3 work?  TB Original would be better than the other two.  Gorilla Glue even better.  Make sure to veneer both sides, too, so it doesn't warp.  

Photo attached of the plan I am basing this on.

John
In a world full of coincidences, I just built a very similar box. I built mine of Walnut and figured maple. My top is glued up. Just glue. There is no need for a mechanical fastener for this kind of top. I built mine as a quarantine project to use up an interesting piece of Walnut.  I'm in Michigan and have a fair amount of cherry if you can't come up with a better solution.
(04-02-2020, 07:35 PM)ed kerns Wrote: In a world full of coincidences, I just built a very similar box. I built mine of Walnut and figured maple. My top is glued up. Just glue. There is no need for a mechanical fastener for this kind of top. I built mine as a quarantine project to use up an interesting piece of Walnut.  I'm in Michigan and have a fair amount of cherry if you can't come up with a better solution.

The original plans I purchased is walnut and maple.  The picture I posted is his updated version with an extra drawer and a top compartment added.  As much as I like the Walnut Maple combo, I think I like the way cherry and maple work together even more.  I am going to try to add a slightly higher top compartment with a lift out tray.
(04-02-2020, 08:45 PM)photobug Wrote: The original plans I purchased is walnut and maple.  The picture I posted is his updated version with an extra drawer and a top compartment added.  As much as I like the Walnut Maple combo, I think I like the way cherry and maple work together even more.  I am going to try to add a slightly higher top compartment with a lift out tray.

Nice. I've built a few variations of this plan. One with a lift top lid with a music box inside. The last one was just a simple 4 drawer with a solid top. I don't recall where the plans originally came from, but they were helpful, especially for the drawer spacing. I do recall the plans I used called for 2 specific router bits, one an ordinary chamfer, but the other cut the 45* notch in the drawer side and was pretty pricey. I have no problem using the single Chamfer bit and running the drawers on edge over the bit as opposed to flat on the table with the specialty bit. (This is assuming we're using the same plans - mine are probably 10 years old by now.)
Photobug, 
    If you are looking for spectacular cherry contact Mike, he goes by pvwoodcrafts here on woodnet. I've purchased a good bit of wood from him over the years. He has the prettiest curly cherry I have ever seen or purchased anywhere. He's a great guy to deal with, I've been more than happy with everything I have purchased from him. If you need more info pm me. 

Paul Mitzel