How to tell Cherry apart from Alder.
I have a project with just a few boards short of what I need in Cherry.  I have found a few 8/4 boards I thought solved my needs but realized each time as I cut it, I realize based on the weight and density I have Alder not cherry in my hand.

I have the book Identifying Wood but can only see the rings on the end grain.  I think I need a better magnifying glass to make use of this technique.
A carpenter's house is never done.
I have both, and used both in projects.
If in doubt, check the knots, *if* your rough lumber has knots.
Alder knots will (usually) have a split in the knot.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(04-02-2020, 08:02 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I have both, and used both in projects.
If in doubt, check the knots, *if* your rough lumber has knots.
Alder knots will (usually) have a split in the knot.

What I have in cherry is so limited mostly clear as is much of my alder that is why I keep getting fulled.  Probably 60% of the wood I have in my house is shop and crawlspace is Alder.  I need to start building something so i have room to work in my shop.

My wife just found a 40x hand lens, I will go back to see if I can identify some rays and rings on the end grain.  I have a pretty good guess what the woods are but am being picky as this is the most elegant thing i will have created.
(04-02-2020, 07:24 PM)photobug Wrote: I have the book Identifying Wood but can only see the rings on the end grain.  I think I need a better magnifying glass to make use of this technique.

Or use your olfactory system.  Cherry smells/tastes like - cherry.  Alder don't.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
If I could suggest Mike or goes by PVW sells outstanding cherry and figured as well.

https://www.forums.woodnet.net/member.ph...uid=124584
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(04-03-2020, 10:45 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: If I could suggest Mike or goes by PVW sells outstanding cherry and figured as well.

https://www.forums.woodnet.net/member.ph...uid=124584

Thanks for that.  Someone else suggested him but he had changed his screen name in 2016 and I was unable to find him.  Just sent him a PM, hopefully he gets back to me soon.  I did also have a call into Bell Hardwoods.
You can always use that alder to smoke some salmon
Yes
Density and weight are the easy way.  Cherry is much heavier than the alder.  Alder is really light weight.
(04-06-2020, 04:36 PM)farmerj111 Wrote: You can always use that alder to smoke some salmon
Yes

My house is trimmed in alder.  Got lots of places to use it that is why I got ton around.
(04-06-2020, 06:52 PM)Latech15 Wrote: Density and weight are the easy way.  Cherry is much heavier than the alder.  Alder is really light weight.

Yep I know, as soon as i cut a larger piece I know it is Alder in my hand.  When it is a large 8/4 board it also feels like cherry when cut to a smaller piece it turns into Alder.